Feed and supplements for poor doers

windand rain

Visit site
Everything from natives to TBs have a base of grass nuts soaked/grass chaff/varying amounts od micronised linseed/ mineral vitamin supplement. I have used soothe and gain for a very old horse to good effect but not one I routinely use

MummyEms

Visit site
Mines an 8 year old thoroughbred, in regular work hacking, dressage and show jumping... the vet and I are trying to increase her weight at the moment

Second one is daughters pony aged 19, pony club 13hh boy, ever so sightly leaner than we'd like.

We give - equimins balancer at recommended amount
Linseed
Alfa a oil
Speedi beet
Gut balancer supplement (pre and pro biotics)
Ad lib hay and moderate grass. In at night and out in the day.
Have decreased riding down to just walking whilst I try to get body condition onto my mare.
She's had full bloods tested. Teeth done. Wormed . She's a very loved and pampered horse ?

Carrottom

Visit site
My 20 yo tb has 3 cups of fast fibre, 2 of spillers hi fibre cubes, one of micronised linseed and a measure or forage plus hoof and skin health twice a day with a good teaspoon of salt in one of the feeds. He is not currently in work and lives out 24/7, grass is still plentiful so no hay yet.

Brownmare

Visit site
Good grass and ad lib hay are the most important things for weight gain plus hard feed containing grass nuts, sugar beet, linseed and a good quality mineral supplement. I also add whey protein powder if muscling is an issue.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Equerry conditioning mash
Grassnuts/alfalfanuts/beet pulp pellets mixed together and soaked
Linseed
Readigrass/dengie senior fibre
Good balancer either powder or pellet
Plenty of good hay/grass (depending on teeth)

at one point I was giving Kia 5 small feeds a day to keep weight on him

YorkshireLady

Visit site
I would also second comments regarding grass and grass based foods. My horse only really puts on condition in spring early summer when grass is good. I di use calm and condition all year round, and in winter add in grass nuts and conditioning feed.

Lucky I can give haylege if i need to as well

teddy_

Visit site
I swear by the combination of TopSpec Comprehensive Balance and Linseed Mash for poorer doers.

It may seem pricier but it works out excellent value for money.

I feed this in conjunction with ad-lib hay whether stabled or in the field.

Identityincrisis

Visit site
My lean horse gets the following split over 2 feeds
Grass nuts
Alpen grun muesli
Linseed
Oil
Max gut health
Vit E

The Vit E has been the game changer.

And of course ad lib hay and keeping him warm

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
At the moment my 26yr old gets 2/3 Stubbs scoop of Saracen Releve, some Saracen fibre nuts, micronised linseed and added Equijewel for the winter. I tweak his feed all the time. He can’t eat hay anymore but can eat grass. At the moment the grass is still OK and they’re still out 24/7. Grass is by far the best for weight gain. If he’s in for any reason then he has a mix of Simple Systems haycare and Saracen fibre nuts.
Supplements include salt, joint and as he had a course of antibiotics when he fell and cut his knees he’s on an extra pre-pro biotic.
On days he is ridden he gets a second breakfast as I call it. The first is a plain fibre based one and then he has the big one after riding.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
You probably need to feed more calories. At the moment the only calories you are giving is the linseed. The alpha and the sugar beet are negligible in the amount of Fats/oils and protein that they offer. I have done a spreadsheet on it.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FlFpea51-iEvqCvdB8aPmC6xhZw6m2BzBjKZ-aBhpic/edit

I look for low starch and high protein in what I want to feed with high fats and oils. The spreadsheet is organised by KJ as this is effectively calories.

Winters100

Visit site
I find that the real key with my poor doer is to feed multiple small meals, she gets 5 meals a day, and 6 at times when we are trying to get her to gain. She gets 'soups' made of grass cubes, beet pulp, linseed and oats in addition to her 'regular' meals. Generally this keeps her in good shape, and I feel that it is less risky feeding in this way than having to give just 2 or 3 huge meals.

MummyEms

Visit site
You probably need to feed more calories. At the moment the only calories you are giving is the linseed. The alpha and the sugar beet are negligible in the amount of Fats/oils and protein that they offer. I have done a spreadsheet on it.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FlFpea51-iEvqCvdB8aPmC6xhZw6m2BzBjKZ-aBhpic/edit

I look for low starch and high protein in what I want to feed with high fats and oils. The spreadsheet is organised by KJ as this is effectively calories.
This is amazing thank you!! (Your spreadsheet is now saved to my device!!) Where it says pure feed linseed is that any micronised linseed? Or a specific brand?

I'm Dun

Visit site
Mine has sensi care and pink mash twice a day, and a bucket of sugar beet and alfalfa to pick at. He also gets vitamin e. Just the synthetic version and only 2000ius extra a day as his other feeds contain some, but it does seem to work. I dont add linseed as the sensi care and pink mash contain large amounts

AandK

Visit site
Pure Linseed is made by Charnwood, probably cheaper to get it direct.

I feed my 8yo exracer, Saracen Releve, grass chaff, linseed and speedibeet. He also gets gut balancer, salt, mineral balancer, GBM for joints (glucosamine, boswellia and MSM) and marshmallow root/milk thistle. He’s quite fussy, that’s why he gets the releve, the only think he will reliably eat all year round. He lives out 24/7 with plenty of grass and hay Dec-Mar. Looks spot on weight wise on this diet.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
This is amazing thank you!! (Your spreadsheet is now saved to my device!!) Where it says pure feed linseed is that any micronised linseed? Or a specific brand?

Any Micronised linseed but they had all the nutrition on it so hence referenced.