Feed Balancer is making my horse go nuts!?

lea

Visit site
I have been feeding my mare a feed balancer for over a week. Since yesterday she has turned into a different horse ... biting over the door, rushing out of her stable, and leaping/bucking about while being turned out and brought in. When I lunged her on friday she went round out of control. Haven't ridden her this weekend but she has been turned out.

I feed the balancer with chop and it is suposed to have a calming influence. Could this have still turned her loopy?

lea

Visit site
That is the one I am on and I use it with their calmer too. Could it be the starch? She used to be on high fibre cubes and was great but her hoof quality is very poor so wanted to use a balancer to cut out all the separate supplements.

rcm_73

Visit site
Make sure you're getting the measurements right is all I can say as a horse I worked with went loopy on Topspec feed balancer but it turned out stable hand had been more than generous with the measures!!

SusanFlynn

Visit site
which one?? On IH most of us are using Top Spec and find anti Lam even better as even less sugars. The sugars in the grass are so high this year and we still have grass growing, which isnt good.

We also use supplement on top of Cal Mag which a lady called Jackie A Taylor supplies as she runs the metobolic horse web site.

This helps in many ways to level out the imbalances.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
My sane, sensible ISH became almost un-rideable when I tried him on top spec. Angry would be the best way i could describe his reaction.
Same reaction with most additives (ie propel plus etc) though so now on A&P SS intolerence with Baileys outshine. Seems to be spot on for him. Happy relaxed horse with plenty of useable energy.

TGM

Visit site
A friend of mine had a horse that went loopy whilst on Top Spec balancer but reverted to normal as soon as she took it off it - so possibly the balancer could be the cause. What about trying a broad spectrum vit/min supplement instead of a balancer?

However, the weather this last week has been pretty foul, so is it possible that the weather (and perhaps restricted turnout) is what has been upsetting her, and just coincidence that you started the balancer at the same time.

Capriole

Visit site
i feed my 19 year old blue chip, have started 3rd sack and already the difference is amazing. no problems behaviour wise, have you cut back his hard feed?