Feed Balancers

SWE

Visit site
Few questions on balancers;

Do you feed one, if so which one and why?
If you don't, why?

Having looked at the ingredients of a lot of them, I'm wondering if a broad spectrum vit&min supplement may do the job required (for less money!). What are the benefits to a balancer other than the form it comes in?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
yes
equimins adv complete because apart from the magnesium it fits my forage profile well (I add magnesium) rather than the probiotic/AAs that mean it is called a balancer rather than vit/min supplement.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Another Equimins Advance Complete person. I'm not a big fan of the big brand name balancers. They tend to have iron in which I dont want, and a generally quite low spec. I find mine looks and feels well with the Equimins and theres a noticable difference with her feet :)

Shay

Visit site
A broad spectrum vit / min supplement is eactly the same. As Leo says - most balencers have a load of rubbish in them you don't want. And they cost more.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I use Top Spec balancer for my ISH and Bailey's Lo Cal for my retired Cushings mare. Both look in great condition, have shiny coats and good feet. Very happy with the results.

madamebonnie

Visit site
I like GWF omega 500 for my ulcery stressy poor doer. Hes surprisingly fat at the moment so I've cut it out whilst the grass is good. Im thinking of switching to the equimins mentioned above as it also appears to have gut balancing properties

C1airey

Visit site
I feed Bailey’s #14 (lo-cal). Fed it originally to my tubby welsh, now feed it to my lanky WB. Both look/ed superb on it with no extra flab or fizz.

sam72431

Visit site
I feed Bailey's lo Cal and she looks amazing!! We often get comments on her shiny coat 😂 I sometimes add top line cubes if she needs a bit more ping normally in the winter when grass is poor.

suffolkmare

Visit site
My boy has Top Spec lite and much less than the guidelines as he’s on grass more hours than not and the one small feed he gets is a vehicle for glucosamine and airways supplements. He will get a larger amount in winter when there’s no grass.

Wheels

Visit site
I use thunderbrooks Daily Essentials. Very happy with the results. I mix it with a small amount of micronised linseed and a handful of pony nuts. I feed at the lower end of the recommended amount for my natives. Very happy with the results

BOWS28

Visit site
I feed Bailey's no.14 Lo Cal and my girl looks fab on it. She's a porker so she only gets hi-fi light and lo cal to get supplements in. She's super shiney and general very well.

vhf

Visit site
My older mare was on Top Spec Comprehensive for 10 years, until this year in fact. It made such a huge difference, it's taken me that long to dare stop! But she is now looking better than ever (at 17) on 50:50 Equimins Advance/Equimins Hoofmender. However, Her entire management changed 5 years ago; I feel she needed the conditioning from the Top Spec, but doesn't now (other conditioning options never really worked for her). Younger one is on the Equimins combo above having started with Hoofmender (shocking feet!!) and the Advance seems to have been the last piece of the puzzle for her - Top Spec was way too conditioning even at half dose but she was missing "something". I may phase out the Hoofmender with both now, and play with doses of Advance against work/season.

catkin

Visit site
a good vits and mins supplement in a small handful of soaked grass nuts or chaff will provide the goodies without the unwanted fillers and binders (just look at the ingredients list of some of the balancer cubes - molasses, wheatfeed, etc).
Also cheaper so you can afford a high-spec supplement.

Some brands to look at are Forageplus and Equimins.