Feed experts .....

Copperpot

Visit site
I am trying to feed a low sugar type diet to all my horses.

They currently get:-

Top Spec lite balancer. A cup per feed.
A handful of Top Spec top chop lite
Blob of unmollassed sugar beet.
Small amount of micronised linseed (as they get turmeric in their feeds)
Plus various supplants for joints and feet.

I've been given a bag of Allan & Page fast fibre today. It sounds like good stuff but what would I need to not feed from the above?

JillA

Visit site
Well Fast Fibre contains vits and minerals so you could save some of the balancer while you are feeding it, and it contains plenty of fibre so the chop could go as well. Leave a small amount in so as to keep their gut flora ready to accept it again when you have finished the Fast Fibre.

Darkwater

Visit site
I feed my ponies an identical diet to yours. I used to feed Fast fibre but this winter i've swapped it to speedibeet - Fast fibre is basically unmollassed sugarbeet with vits + mins added, so as you're already feeding a balancer I would personally stick to what you're feeding. I find a bag of sugar beet goes a lot further as well so works out cheaper

Copperpot

Visit site
Thanks everyone. Darkwater I didn't realise that's what fast fibre was. I use speedibeet too so may as well just carry on with what they are having.

Jill A thanks. If I do use the bag I will cut down on the balancer and chaff. Seems a shame to waste it!

small fish

New User
Visit site
You can never feed too much fibre. 1) ad lib hay or haylage or forage (grass) 2) chaff 3) short fibre like speedi-beet 4) grains (preferably micronised for digestibility as energy requirements dictate 5) mineral supplementation 6) omega oils.

Copperpot

Visit site
They live out 24/7 on good grazing and get hay twice a day. The grazing is a little too good for one in the spring and he has to muzzled for 12 hours and then kept in a wood chip paddock for the other 12.

The main reason I try to cut out the sugar is 3 have no shoes on and I wanted a foot friendly diet. The fourth one (who needs restricted grass in spring/summer) has shoes on but I would like to try without as he has some issues this may help with.

Nudibranch

Visit site
Remember the amounts of minerals, etc in FF are relatively low, esp if you are only feeding small amounts, might be quite difficult to work out quantities if you cut down on balancer.

AngieandBen

Visit site
I feed my ponies an identical diet to yours. I used to feed Fast fibre but this winter i've swapped it to speedibeet - Fast fibre is basically unmollassed sugarbeet with vits + mins added, so as you're already feeding a balancer I would personally stick to what you're feeding. I find a bag of sugar beet goes a lot further as well so works out cheaper

Yep this, I feed mine exact same diet lol, I buy this; goes a lot further than FF :http://www.tridentfeeds.co.uk/products/equibeet/