Feed for underweight cushings pony?

Doormouse

Visit site
My daughters truly wonderful old pony is a 13hh 24 year old section b with cushings, contolled by 1/2 prascend a day. He came to me on the poor side, I went wild with the feeding and because he was unsettled about moving and then full of food he frightened my daughter witless! I came to my senses and realised that Rome wasn't built in a day and softly softly with the weight gain was the sensible approach.

He now has D&H Cush Care and soaked hay plus a reasonable amount of grass over the summer. He has steadily put on a bit of condition. He has had very bad laminitis in the past so once the Autumn grass came through I have been very careful. He grew a teddy bear coat so was clipped about 3 weeks ago as he was struggling with the heat of the day when working. Over the past couple of weeks I feel he has gone backwards a bit and I'm just wondering if there is anything else I could feed alongside that might help now the weather has changed?

Doormouse

Visit site
Micronised linseed is excellent for condition, it's low in starch and sugars.

That was my first thought but there is already quite a bit of that in the Cush Care, not sure of the amounts of linseed required. I fed my horses linseed last year and gave them a coffee cup full twice a day as advised by feed shop, I'm guessing maybe half that for a pony but would there already be that amount in his feed now?