Feed for underweight two year old

Queenbee

Visit site
Personally I wouldnt touch the stuff with a bargepole... far better feeds around that C&C and chaff... for starters, C&C is designed for horses that are in a significant workload, not a 2 yr old baby. I would give Adorable Alice a pm, she is used to bringing on her baby heavyweights...

paulineh

Visit site
Microlized Linseed is very good for putting weight on. I would also feed something especially for youngsters such as Baileys yearling cubes. I took on a two year old Arab that was very much under weight and he came along really well using the above. Plenty of good fibre is a must.

Maybe if you are going to the YHL show at the weekend you could talk to the feed companies.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Do please be careful. I bought a youngster (rising 4) who had been bought back by her breeder, because of neglect, and then fed up rather too rapidly with just about everything that could be thrown at her. She was a very sweet-natured horse who became almost impossible to handle over time. Eventually we realised that she was extremely intolerant of all cereals and refined sugar. I am convinced that this was as a result of the starvation followed by being fed too much cereal and sugar.
I would feed your baby on good quality ad-lib hay at first and monitor any weight gain. We have just fed up a poor-looking 3 yr old (now 4) over the course of a year on hay, grass chaff, linseed oil and soaked grassnuts over last winter when it was very wet. She was unrugged, out during the day and in at night, kept on a very exposed Pennine hillside. She looks fabulous now.