Feed for vetran

jessykai

Visit site
My mare is 19 and I currently have her on d&h fibergy d&h build up and grass nuts she also has linseed and biotin.

I am running low of build up and want to change as I don't really think its suiting her. I've been looking at d&h 16+ as it contains glucosamine and msm but I've heard good things about A&P Vetran vitality but I want one with joint stuff ideally.

Are there any others other than 16+ that has joint stuff

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I think as well if I was you I would be looking at the starch level, sixteen plus is careal which is not ideal really in my eyes as it's not a natural feed as such and high starch levels. Allen and page are v good, could u add your own joint supplement? Because tbh the rates in the feed will be so low anyway

dallastheo

Visit site
what about TopSpec senior balancer? my 23 yr old mare is currently on topspec topchop, topspec lite balancer ( the senior is a bit too conditioning for my mare, she is still as good as she was 10 years ago!!) and cortaflex, and linseed. :)

Oberon

Visit site
I feed my 25 year old;

Fast Fibre (haynet in a bucket)
Speedibeet (rapidly fermented calorie source)

I feed balanced minerals according to my forage analysis (copper, zinc, magnesium)

25g salt (more if exercising - it helps absorption of calcium and magnesium)

Mixture of herbs (therapeutic and for taste)

Fenugreek seeds (appetite stimulant and taste)
Turmeric (joint health - there are some studies out at the moment)

2000iu Vitamin E (two capsules squeezed out, elderly horses benefit from this)

100g Micronised linseed (omega oils - joint health, coat health, gut muculage and moisture balance in hooves).

Yea-sacc (pro-biotic - cuts his poops down to half).

Lysine - the only studied essential, limiting protein. If a horse (common in elderly horses) is deficient in an essential, limiting protein, the whole process of protein building stops and the horse will struggle to build muscle (lacking topline etc).

I will say that this is a bespoke diet.

If you don't have a forage analysis then I can recommend Fast Fibre, unmolassed beet, micronised linseed, turmeric and Pro Hoof (which contains the minerals, vitamin e, yea-sacc, methionine and lysine).http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRO-HOOF-...r_Equipment&hash=item415ecd69e0#ht_1466wt_952

Equimin's META balance is also an excellent supplement but I am not as familiar with the ingredients.

A bagged 'veteren feed' is all well and good - but I feel it's better to know exactly what you are giving rather than leaving it to chance.

Oberon

Visit site
My mare is 19 and I currently have her on d&h fibergy d&h build up and grass nuts she also has linseed and biotin.

I am running low of build up and want to change as I don't really think its suiting her. I've been looking at d&h 16+ as it contains glucosamine and msm but I've heard good things about A&P Vetran vitality but I want one with joint stuff ideally.

Are there any others other than 16+ that has joint stuff

There are huge doubts about the effectiveness of glucosamine as a joint supplement.

MSM has been found in some trials to be effective as an analgesic for hock arthritis at a dose of 20g or higher - which is several times higher than a horse may obtain in their diet (MSM is sulphur - present in forage). Although it is considered non toxic - you have to consider it a drug at that dose and monitor it's use for mineral interaction and possibly effects on the bacteria in the gut.

Turmeric and micronised linseed however do have benefits and have no known side effects.

Ladydragon

Visit site
We've had a 19yr old over winter on Fast Fibre 2:1 with A&Ps Veteran & Vitality with ad lib haylage at night and turnout during the day... Just started adding in linseed across the board at Oberon's (and a few others') suggestion...

She was very overweight and had a hanging crest when she arrived with us but got quite fit last year on the FF and L Mix with 24/7 turnout... I noticed she's thickened a bit on the crest again recently so she's off the Vet and Vitality once this bag finishes... It's got 12% protein and I think that's been a little high for a pony that does lean towards putting on weight especially while it's been so mild - the weather's been so wet here using the school to lunge her etc has been a bit hit n' miss... Other than watching her weight though she's in pretty good shape...

:)

Brandy

Visit site
BIG vote for Veteran Vitality.

I changed my 31 yr old onto this last year and he looks fantastic. He also has fast fibre from A & P too.

I found that cutting out all cereal/mixes really helped him with the stiffness, and I mean amazingly so.

You could email A & P and they will recommend a feeding regime for your horse.

Brandy

Visit site
Meant to say, I also use instant linseed from Simple Systems.

You may find that you don;t need a joint supplement if you cut the mixes out.

Marydoll

Visit site
My old girl will be 28 this year and she has regular dental checks 6 monthly.
Farrier every 7-8 weeks for trimming
She is turned out on good grass daily, in at night on haylage ad lib.
Summer she has no hard feed but chaff and supliments.
in the winter
She is fed on either a scoop of ready grass or Alfa A oil.
1 scoop of wet beet, Sugar beet or speedi beet depending on time of year
Baileys topline conditioning cubes am
Hi fibre cubes pm
Baileys outshine in the winter months oct-march.
Suppliments
Magnesium, salt,cosequin

billy2

Visit site
Got a 37yo on A&P Calm & Condition, with Fibrebeet and Readigrass as side dishes (he won't eat them if mixed!) He has Equiflex as a supplement and has just started having Spillers treats with Glucosamine - 2 or 3 a day - don't know if its a coincidence but he's been hooning round the field like a madman...

Marydoll

Visit site
Got a 37yo on A&P Calm & Condition, with Fibrebeet and Readigrass as side dishes (he won't eat them if mixed!) He has Equiflex as a supplement and has just started having Spillers treats with Glucosamine - 2 or 3 a day - don't know if its a coincidence but he's been hooning round the field like a madman...

LIKE BUTTON PRESSED :D:D:D

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I must be a really mean mummy then as my 21 year old mare is on good quailty hay at nigth, but only 5lb, and grass and that's it and she still runs around the feild like a two yrold. Xxx

asbo

Visit site
my lads a fussy begger,hes decided he doesnt like alpha a oil anymore, so currently on 16+ mix,speedi beet,vetvit joint supplement and haylage,out 24/7.