Feed Options - ideas welcome

Nayumi1

Visit site
So I have had Lunar 3 weeks now. She has had ulcers previously and since then has been on Baileys Ease and Excel with no issues since. I am currently continuing the ease and excel but was wondering if anyone had suggestions on a better alternative that I can gradually switch to? I’m adding Soya oil to her feed too.

Below is a photo of her condition after a week of having her.

21343M

Last edited:

Nayumi1

Visit site
No photo is showing - so i can't comment on the condition. Why do you think you need to change it?

Typical, let me sort out the photo. She’s a little underweight at the moment but I was wanting to see if there was a better alternative to the ease and excel. She’s in light work 5 days a week and at the moment turned out 24/7

attachment.php

Last edited:

HeyMich

Visit site
I use Pure Feeds for my ulcer mare. It is low cal, balanced with vits/mins and has added pre and probiotics. I use their Fibre Balance as my mare is a right fatty, it may be that another of their feeds would be more suitable for your horse. They are really helpful on the phone/email, so definitely one to consider.

Equi

Visit site
Fast fibre is supposed to be ok for ulcer prone. Just make sure she has some good forage 24/7 too, cause grass will very soon start to go downhill. Some micronised linseed would do her the world of good for weight gain, simple systems do it (but it might be more available on the mainland than it is in northern ireland)

Leo Walker

Visit site
Pink mash. Its designed for ulcer prone horses, has a full dose of protexin in and is made from soya hulls so you can drop the soya oil. I find soya oil sends some horses loopy so I avoid it like the plague! If you wanted more condition I'd add rice bran oil, either the keyflow one or build n glow.

paddi22

Visit site
why do you want to switch her off ease and excel if it's working? its a great feed, are you having issues with it?
you can see the outline of her ribs. but she's her condition is anything i'd be particularly having a panic about. a few more weeks of the ease and excel and good forage would fit that. she's lovely,

paddi22

Visit site
i'd be wary about chopping and changing between feeds, or putting condition on too fast. She's moved to a new yard/new owner/new routine, which is stressful enough and would make some horse lose weight anyway. she's not in bad condition so theres no panic to throw weight on her. We get exracers in who are walking skeletons sometimes, and the ease and excel is great. it has the outshine in it, so you will just be doubling up and spending unnecessary money by adding another oil supplement. If you look at where she is on a body condition scale charts, she in a normal zone. If she is happy on her feed i;d leave it, and if she was losing condition i'd re-look in a month or so.

Starzaan

Visit site
She looks good to me. Needs a little more muscle, and you wouldn’t want her to drop off any more over winter, but she looks infinitely better than all the hundreds of obese horses waddling around!
I’d give her ad lib hay rather than faffing about with her feed. Forage is the best thing for horses.

Nayumi1

Visit site
I am happy to keep her on the ease and excel, I guess I was looking to see if that was the best option. It sounds like it is a good feed so happy to continue on it.

She’s got good forage now and a good winter field that she will move into. She also gets hay when I bring her down to the stable area.

Thanks everyone for the advice!