Feed suggestions? Horse has dropped weight...

BorgRae

Visit site
Hiya!

Ok, so my lad is dropping in weight ever so slightly...

He is on Ad-Lib hayledge and has a scoop of Happy Hoof morning and night for his feed. Obviously the Happy Hoof won't help him maintain weight as there's nothing really in it, so need an alternative or something to add to his feeds.

Unfortunately he's been out of work for the last 3 months with an injury, but is just coming back into work now.

So... any suggestions as to a good feed to help maintain his weight?

Thanks all!! :D

Irishbabygirl

Visit site
My gelding did really well on Happy Hoof for years until I moved yards and he began to drop - I swapped on to Dengie Alfa-A and added some Speedibeet and he's back to normal - might work for yours?

ThePony

Visit site
I'd add beet and/or linseed like suggested above, also a vit/min supplement. If he is picky over large feeds then I would have a couple of cups of linseed with the beet, and less chaff. Are his teeth ok and is worming up to date?

BorgRae

Visit site
His teeth were done on 3rd December and his worming is up to date. It's a yard policy that all horses are wormed at the same time, they provide the wormers etc, and are different each time to conteract the different worms...

Sugar/speedi Beet and Linseed oil sound like a good place to start!

Is Speedi Beet less fizzy than Sugar Beet?

Thanks you for your posts! Very helpful!!

Nocturnal

Visit site
speedibeet/kwik beet is unmolassed, so yes, less fizzy and more healthy :). For some reason kwik beet has higher digestible energy than speedibeet, but some places don't stock it. I prefer the micronised linseed over the oil, but both would work.

BorgRae

Visit site
Oh brill, thank you for that! I shall take a trip to the local feed shop and pick some up.

I'll go with the Speedi beet and the micronised linseed.

Thanks agian everyone!! :D