Feedback on youngster conformation please

twiggy2

Visit site
He does look light of bone and lacking neck and neck not set quite right for me. He also lacks gaskin and forearm but he is only 2 and that may come.
He is stepping under very nicely from behind which is nice to see.
At the end of the day judging comes down to the judges personal choice nothing more, it's you that has to like him.
Do you have a side on photo of him stood up nicely, we can all give opinions on the moving shot but tension/movement etc can really effect them.

windand rain

Visit site
As said before he is 2 in a class of older and younger horses. 2 year olds are a bit in between he is lovely will make up into a stunning boy but he is a bit immature and gangly and lacks condition and I don't mean fat. Don't give up on showing him it makes for well rounded youngsters when it comes to backing. Even if he never wins a class,which he should , it will give him life experience

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I think his really lovely and I think his body is inn good proportion for his age, some 2 year olds can look very odd my Arab was all head and neck at that age, I definitely wouldn't give up showing it's a funny old game, you just have to not take it to heart if you don't do well, I have won everything one week then the next time come last it's just someone's opinion at the end of the day.

I think he would look lovely in dark green velvet brown and, or even a dark red cornerstone browbands do some nice ones she does list on e bay as well as her own website.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
he does look a nice type, definitely wear dark trousers to make his legs stand out a bit more, he would look better if his head was lower , in a similar shape to a horse being ridden. if he had his head up when you were showing him i think that would have marked against him and the judges wouldnt have been able to judge him properly if he wouldnt stand still. i did quite a bit of showing with my youngster and did well in some classes and not in others but i used it to give her experience and it really paid off when i broke her to ride. she was immediately traffic proof as she had been around big lorries and lots of noise at shows so i would say keep showing because that experience is priceless..

Marigold4

Visit site
It would be easy to glance at him and not really see him and first impressions really count, not much you can really do if showing indoors outside he will be much more eyecatching.

I would go for a strong bright colour, burgundy can look good with gold, or a deep teal/ turquoise with gold, if you want to be more traditional go for red/ white/ blue but I like to be a bit different.

Tidying the top of his tail would improve the overall picture, just a rake through on each side would do if you don't want the full pulled look., I would probably wear dark trousers as his legs are a bit washed out at this time of year, they should come darker in the summer although many have similar markings both the buckskins I have had here were much the same as yours.

Thanks for this advice. I have tried him in his mum's fancy red and gold browband and he does indeed look rather snazzy in it. Dark trousers sound a good idea. I shall learn to tail plait. Thankfully next show is not for another 6 weeks, by which time new noseband should have arrived.

Marigold4

Visit site
I think his really lovely and I think his body is inn good proportion for his age, some 2 year olds can look very odd my Arab was all head and neck at that age, I definitely wouldn't give up showing it's a funny old game, you just have to not take it to heart if you don't do well, I have won everything one week then the next time come last it's just someone's opinion at the end of the day.

I think he would look lovely in dark green velvet brown and, or even a dark red cornerstone browbands do some nice ones she does list on e bay as well as her own website.
I shall have a look! Thanks for showing advice - I shall do another!

Marigold4

Visit site
He does look light of bone and lacking neck and neck not set quite right for me. He also lacks gaskin and forearm but he is only 2 and that may come.
At the end of the day judging comes down to the judges personal choice nothing more, it's you that has to like him.
Do you have a side on photo of him stood up nicely, we can all give opinions on the moving shot but tension/movement etc can really effect them.
The second photo he looks like a llama! First photo at start shows neck and head relaxed position. I shall try to get a side photo if I could only get him to stand still!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Thanks for this advice. I have tried him in his mum's fancy red and gold browband and he does indeed look rather snazzy in it. Dark trousers sound a good idea. I shall learn to tail plait. Thankfully next show is not for another 6 weeks, by which time new noseband should have arrived.

You'll be unlucky of a 14.3 two year old doesn't make 15.1 at least. My 15 hand two year old, of a similar shape and bone, is a16 hand three year old.

Marigold4

Visit site
The second photo he looks like a llama! First photo at start shows neck and head relaxed position. I shall try to get a side photo if I could only get him to stand still!

You have put your finger on what unsettles me a little about him. His legs don't quite look up to the job of carrying his body, let alone a rider. But as you say he's only two and may grow out of the gangliness. I can't quite work it out yet but there's also something about the proportion of his front legs that is a little out?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
if you are having a problem getting him to stand still at home that would be a good thing to work on in the time before the next show. if he is a reasonably polite chap you could try using a command when you want him to stand still and if he does maybe a polo to reward him. always make sure he is not resting a leg or standing with legs all over the place. this will also help when you start to ride him if you get the stand command sorted early on in his life. my horse was 13.1 and 3/4 at age 3 and 16 hands at age 6 so they can grow quite a bit in those few years...good luck , would love to see a still photo of him..

Marigold4

Visit site
You'll be unlucky of a 14.3 two year old doesn't make 15.1 at least. My 15 hand two year old, of a similar shape and bone, is a16 hand three year old.

Thanks, that's very encouraging. I'm resisting temptation to feed him up for growth and keeping my fingers crossed.

Marigold4

Visit site
if you are having a problem getting him to stand still at home that would be a good thing to work on in the time before the next show. if he is a reasonably polite chap you could try using a command when you want him to stand still and if he does maybe a polo to reward him. always make sure he is not resting a leg or standing with legs all over the place. this will also help when you start to ride him if you get the stand command sorted early on in his life. my horse was 13.1 and 3/4 at age 3 and 16 hands at age 6 so they can grow quite a bit in those few years...good luck , would love to see a still photo of him..

I would love to see a still of him too! I fear it may take some time and training to get him to stand still long enough for a photo! And must have contributed to our last position at the show!

Berpisc

Visit site
Well I think he looks awful and you should give him to me!!!:):)
You may find (on top of the good advice given) that he may relax a little if you do some more outings, but as has also been said, use his in hand trips more for the good experience it gives him, have fun. Bear in mind that especially at more local levels judging can be a little quirky.

AlinFaolan

Visit site
He's lovely, showing is down to what the judge is looking for on the day, I've been in more than one class when the top of the line were bays and got lighter to the greys as it went down the placings

Marigold4

Visit site
Well I think he looks awful and you should give him to me!!!:):)
You may find (on top of the good advice given) that he may relax a little if you do some more outings, but as has also been said, use his in hand trips more for the good experience it gives him, have fun. Bear in mind that especially at more local levels judging can be a little quirky.

Ha, ha - l'm besotted with this little horse so you'd have a hard job prising the lead rope out of my hand! I shall definitely take next outing less seriously as you suggest.

Marigold4

Visit site
He's lovely, showing is down to what the judge is looking for on the day, I've been in more than one class when the top of the line were bays and got lighter to the greys as it went down the placings

Interesting. It's an awful lot of effort to get a grey horse ready and then to find the judge prefers bays! I'm really not getting showing!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
thankyou, he looks like a nice type, i would try and get his head a little lower when you show him and he doesnt need to stand square for showing and how he is standing would be ok if the judge was looking at him as per this photo, that is from this side where the hind leg is further back... hope that makes sense....

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I did but beyond saying he was a bit excited (the horse, not the judge!) nothing to say.

Then he was either in a rush to escape - or didn't know why, lol. A mixed class is virtually impossible to judge properly unless you can mentally score every horse against its Breed Standard and place them based on that score. If your chap was in an Irish Draught class - of course - even at 2 he'd be marked down on bone and depth. (But they'd love his movement.) The only practical way to judge a large mixed class is to say: whose behaving well, does he look 'normal' for a youngster, and is it a colour I like, lol. The only reason for bothering is to give a youngster experience at an outing where you wouldn't be too excited if he DID win.