Showjumping Feedback Wanted on Jumping Position

Taliesan

Visit site
I've only recently conquered my fears of jumping. Last September I was terrified of a pole on the ground but, with the help of my horse and by just getting on with it, I am now feeling confident popping over 60cm+ jumps.

The last couple of times I've been jumping I've felt like I restrict him with the reins a bit and, having looked back at photos of myself, I think my arms, possibly back and shoulders as well, also look tense. I suspect this is a position rooted in my still pretty recent fear of leaving the ground so I am looking for any tips or suggestions on what I could do to try and relax a bit or improve my position when going over jumps.

My horse is a star and very patient with me but he doesn't appreciate it much when I hold onto his face, understandably so, and I am determined to improve so he is no longer carrying me through things and we are doing the jumps as a team.

I've attached a couple of (bad) photos of us jumping to better illustrate what I'm talking about. All feedback is much appreciated as I am determined to get better at this!

received_1004862126381206_edited.jpgreceived_2601292863264160_edited_edited.jpg

Mule

Visit site
Well done for conquering your fear.
I'll preface this by saying I'm no jumping expert- I do think your have a nice straight hip to heel line, you look in good balance.

I also think you could give more with your hands over the jump. If you soften from your shoulder down, esp your elbows, the horse could stretch more over the fence.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Oooh, you really shouldn't do this....but: I think you could shorten your stirrups by quite a few holes; you are essentially just standing in your stirrups here and not folding enough through the hips (even over these titchy little jumps), which contributes to you also using the reins to balance. Your hands/arms should be moving to follow the horses head and neck over the jump, and your reins are too long too. On the plus side your lower leg is still and in the right place, and you are looking up. Do you have an instructor?

Last edited:

TheMule

Visit site
Don't jump without a neckstrap, that will get your hands lower and more forward- you are balancing on your hands here and it will be very uncomfortable for your horse.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Don't jump without a neckstrap, that will get your hands lower and more forward- you are balancing on your hands here and it will be very uncomfortable for your horse.

Hmmm, actually the line from the rein/hand/elbow is very good, putting the hand down to a neckstrap would break that line. If rider just bent at the waist and shortened the reins whilst giving forwards she would have a nearly perfect direct release...

Mule

Visit site
I like Cortez's advice re; the stirrups. You could always make the fences a bit smaller if you would feel less tense that way.
I find photos and especially videos fantastic for improving my riding. Perhaps as you try to change things you should keep taking pictures.

eggs

Visit site
I also think you need to shorten your stirrups. I tend to go up five holes from my flatwork length. I find it better to think of pushing my bum towards the back of the saddle and folding forwards from my hips rather than pushing my bum and hips forwards and up. Think of pushing your hands towards your horse's ears

Your lower leg is in a good stable position and you are looking up rather than down at the ground so you are going in the right direction.

Mule

Visit site
It can be important to try and think of the position as pushing your hips back rather than leaning forward. I find folding forward leads to me getting ahead of the motion. Which of course you don't want for your balance.

Taliesan

Visit site
Thank you for the feedback everyone, it is most appreciated.

I will definitely shorten my stirrups by a few holes the next time I pop some jumps up to practice. Having reins that are too long is a definite flaw of mine so I will make a conscious effort to have them shorter next time. I think part of the problem is that if I push my arms forwards I lose all contact and I then have to gather both of us up on the other side of the jump so my reaction is also to keep with the contact. Shortening the reins to take account of the forward movement should really help out here.

Thinking of pushing my bum towards the back of the saddle is a really good tip. When I am nervous I tend to lean too far forwards so I think that will really help me to keep back instead of getting ahead of the motion by accident.

I will definitely keep taking pictures and videos. They are a great learning tool as well as being good to look back on and visibly see the progress that has (hopefully) been made.

I do have an instructor but it is a long way for me to travel and see them (about an hour) - I like to have a lesson, improve as much as I can and then have another one when I feel I've hit a bit of a wall. I'm moving yards soon and I'll be quite near Weston Lawns, so I may see if there are any good jumping instructors in that area who will suit us both.

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
Thanks so much Taliesan for starting this thread! I had my second jumping lesson today and am hoovering up the comments you've received. Taking phone for pics/videos tomorrow. You have a smashing horse! Good luck :)

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
When teaching, I have people practice their jump position on the flat before jumping. People would practice first of all at a standstill pushing their bum back, which makes you fold. You don't fold at the waist, it is from the hip, with a strong back. Once you can do this at halt ten practice until you can walk or trot with your bum back and folded.

Then we would practice cantering up and down hill. The uphill is equivalent to the take off, take off, take off, take off.... whereas downhill is the equivalent of landing, landing, landing. You keep your balance so you are strong as far as gravity goes, so uphill you look more folded and downhill you look more upright, but both are balanced above your base where gravity would be plumb down.

Then we would practice being able to independently either sit, stand (as you are doing in the photos) or fold with bum back. You should be able to move from bum back to stand and back to bum back without sitting down.

Once you have done all that then if you work with grid work, starting with poles then making low bounces your muscles will learn the muscle memory needed to stay plumb with gravity.

Once you have learned this down some canter poles and bounce fences, a single fence will feel natural.

Littlebear

Visit site
Think of the new position as shoulder, knee, toe for the forward position rather than the flatwork shoulder, hip, heel.
Just work on your balance in your forward position and riding with a slightly shorter stirrup and shorter rein and longer arm, then just allow the head movement a little more over the jump (which will only work when you have control of your own balance without using the rein to help you). Hope that helps a little x

Palindrome

Visit site
I have the same problem, re long reins and hands not always following, and I find taking a bit of mane about midway on the neck helps me as it gives me the correct rein length and my hands have to follow the horse's stretching it's neck.
I practice 2 points in trot and canter without jumping too as Red-1 said.
Another thing that helps me is going in 2 points well before the jump (but staying above the saddle with bum well back) and then fold down a bit more for the jump. When I started I was only told to get off the saddle when the horse takes off but I find the timing can be tricky and then it can imbalances the horse to move during take off.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I have the bum back problem! I’m interested to see whether it might have improved since learning how to squat properly!

Xanthoria

Visit site
I think that if you tend to tip forwards, thinking about folding or pushing your bum places may result in too much collapsing. With the stirrups shortened sufficiently, you shouldn't really move much at all over a small jump - except for a following hand. You can practice that at the walk, trot and canter: get up in 2 point and find your balance. Over a jump, you stay still and the horse just rises up to meet you. I find that imagining my head is on an invisible wire rail following the course, and keeping it very still, stops me from ducking forwards. Everything else falls into place from there.

Reacher

Visit site
I love Red’s advice and will be copying it down and practicing.
I wish i’d been taught that when I first learned to jump, it would have saved a host of bad habits which I’m trying to correct.
My current RI changed my stirrup lengths from hole 7 on flat and hole 9 jumping to hole 6 on flat and hole 14 jumping! Made an instant improvement - I had the typical throw myself forwards and pivot at the knee and restricting hands bad habit. I’ve had loads of different instructors over the years and none tried to correct my position. Current RI is also getting me to improve my core, it’s slow progress
When teaching, I have people practice their jump position on the flat before jumping. People would practice first of all at a standstill pushing their bum back, which makes you fold. You don't fold at the waist, it is from the hip, with a strong back. Once you can do this at halt ten practice until you can walk or trot with your bum back and folded.

Then we would practice cantering up and down hill. The uphill is equivalent to the take off, take off, take off, take off.... whereas downhill is the equivalent of landing, landing, landing. You keep your balance so you are strong as far as gravity goes, so uphill you look more folded and downhill you look more upright, but both are balanced above your base where gravity would be plumb down.

Then we would practice being able to independently either sit, stand (as you are doing in the photos) or fold with bum back. You should be able to move from bum back to stand and back to bum back without sitting down.

Once you have done all that then if you work with grid work, starting with poles then making low bounces your muscles will learn the muscle memory needed to stay plumb with gravity.

Once you have learned this down some canter poles and bounce fences, a single fence will feel natural.

Jellymoon

Visit site
Do you know what, I think you are doing really well, and as you get more confident and balanced you will relax more. I don’t think you should overthink it. You are actually looking really good, and as the jumps are tiny, you don’t need to be throwing yourself forward. You look like you are in a nice secure position. Go girl!

TWMD

Visit site
Well done for conquering your fear, you both look fab!

I agree with Xanthoria, I don't necessarily agree with 'folding' at the hips and over thinking a 'jumping position' over small jumps. You want the horse to come up to meet you, folding at the hips often ends up in riders collapsing at the waist and getting ahead of the movement.

The best thing my instructor has told me is to shorten my stirrups and to get off my horses back. Riding in a 2 point seat really strengthens your lower leg and core and gets you absorbing the horses movement through your ankles, knees and hips. A neckstrap is useful to hook a finger through until you find your balance improves so you're not relying on your reins. My instructor banned me from letting my bum touch the saddle for a week and my strength and balance improved immensely (but maaaan did my legs hurt!!!).