Feeding…

Patchypony80

Visit site
Hi!
My boys needing some different feed! He’s a sufferer of mallanders and I have a feeling his feed isn’t helping. He currently gets HiFi molasses free but I’ve read online that alfalfa is a big no no! Is there a chaff out there that doesn’t have alfalfa but also doesn’t put the weight on? He won’t eat Topspec chops of any kind so they are out. I’ve heard thunderbrooks is supposed to be mallanders friendly is this true? I feel feed companies can be too bias to get an honest recommendation.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Honeychop is Oat straw so might be worth a look.

I researched new chaffs for mine and the honeychop light & healthy ticked all the boxes for me (cant remember if it included alfalfa so you'll need to check) but unfortunately horse doesn't like it! Luckily a stable mate does love it and she hated the one she was on so we did a swap. They can send you a sample.

Patchypony80

Visit site
Honeychop is Oat straw so might be worth a look.

I researched new chaffs for mine and the honeychop light & healthy ticked all the boxes for me (cant remember if it included alfalfa so you'll need to check) but unfortunately horse doesn't like it! Luckily a stable mate does love it and she hated the one she was on so we did a swap. They can send you a sample.
Okay he’s a very fussy eater so I’ll see if I can get a sample, thanks!

Visit site
Honeychop lite and healthy is alfalfa free (2 of mine aren’t good on alfalfa) I fed it for years and all of my 4 loved it. I can’t get it over here so have stopped onto dengue meadow grass and herbs (also alfalfa free) and they love that also.

Elno

Visit site
When I had a hairy cob with abundance of feathers I was deadly terrified of Mellanders and mites. I read that Mellanders is made worse by biotin and sugar so I would try to stay clear of them as much as possible. Usually though these type of horses don't require any feed anyways because they practically live on air it seems, so mine was only fed forage.

TGM

Visit site
Do you need a feed to add supplements to? If so, have you tried a little bit of watery Speedibeet to mix with it. If you don't feed supplements then does he need a feed at all if he is a good doer?