Feeding a 20 year old a purely fibre diet?

Derfette

Visit site
Mornin all.

Does anyone give Spillers Senior Fibre as a feed on it's own?

My 20 year old pure arab is currently fed Spillers Conditioning Fibre with Senior Balancer with a spoonful of 'Garlic and More' twice a day. But due to the ever increasing cost of living, I've now decided I will have to change his diet.

My 2 thoughs so far are :
1. Spillers Conditioning Fibre with Maintenance Mix, or
2. Spillers Senior Fibre fed on its own.

For a 20 year old, he is in lovely condition and never looses any weight over the winter this is why I'm thinking that feeding the fibre alone would be worth thinking about.

Your thoughts, suggestions and ideas would be greatfully received!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Why not drop the garlic (it's not great for them anyway) and look at feeding Alpha A Oil, instead of the conditioning fibure (should be cheaper).

But I wouldn't make any other changes until the spring, personally.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
I assume you mean as a hard feed, to be honest I feel you should alter the diet over a longer period with an older horse.
A fibre based diet, plus minerals, is all a horse needs, it is vital that teeth are done regularly, and that the forage is pretty much ad lib. I am a convert to unmolassed sugar beet, micronised linseed and Equimins Advance as they seem to glow with health. This is my definition of using "straights"
Fast Fibre is great as well, as it is balanced with minerals and easy to use.
At this time of the year it is important to keep the weight on an older animal, though I am happy to slim my [adolescent] boy off a bit, so he can go out to grass an put a bit of weight on without getting laminitis.

smiffyimp

Visit site
Allen and Page Veteran Vitality - without a doubt the best veteran feed I have ever used. My boy is 33, on 2 scoops a day with a bit of hifi - he looks rediculously healthy!:D

WHISKEY

Visit site
Another vote for Fast Fibre - i also feed unmolassed beet for my 20 year old - he looks and rides like a 10 year old.

TGM

Visit site
To be able to answer your question, you need to be able to say what you are hoping to achieve with the bucket feed you give. From what you say, the horse would maintain condition without additional feed, so are you feeding to:

1. Ensure he gets all vit/mins
2. Top up low protein levels in hay
3. Just something to mix supplements/medication with
4. Just a token to keep him quiet whilst others are being fed

etc.

Also what sort of forage he gets will affect the answer - if he is on good grazing and excellent haylage then he will need less additional feed than if he is on poor hay and poor grazing.

Oberon

Visit site
My 25 year old, Arab with dodgy teeth gets (in addition to grass and haylage)

Fast Fibre
Speedibeet
Vitamin E (2000iu capsules squeezed into each feed)
Lysine (to top up protein in the forage)
Copper, zinc, magnesium (balanced according to forage analysis)
Salt
Hay chaff (just for fun and because it's cheap)
micronised linseed (joints, gut muculage, coat health, hoof moisture balance)
mixture of herbs (for taste and therapeutic)
Turmeric (joints)
Fenugreek (taste and appetite stimulant)

His rider reports he "feels really good" and I've had more compliments about how he'd looking this winter than in many years previously.

He gets daily turnout and is never rugged (he refuses to wear a turnout rug) but it rugged at night. He will refuse to go out in the worst weather.

I don't think he looks too bad (even with huge, winter coat)....
obicoatschoolnov2011.jpg

NOISYGIRL

Visit site
My horse is 33 and fed Spillers high fibre cubes as that's all he'll eat he's decided lol

oh and soaked hay, does really well on it, everyone says he doesn't look his age

xxRachelxx

Visit site
Spillers Senior Fibre is a 'complete' feed. It isn't just a chaff. Therefore if you feed the recommended amount then you would not need to feed anything else as the horse will be getting all of their nutritional requirements. We sell it at the shop I work in and it is extremly popular, with people saying their oldies are doing really well on it.

CrazyMare

Visit site
My 20 yr old is still hunting, jumping, going to the gallops etc.

She is on 1 1/2 scoops Alfa A, 400g TopSpec Balancer, and 1/2 a scoop of SpeediBeet plus 2 cups of TopSpec Fibre Plus cubes, with adlib hay. She also has a dash of salt (vet advised since she tied up) and joint supplement.

So, yes, oldies can have total fibre diets, and do well on it.

Derfette

Visit site
Spillers Senior Fibre is a 'complete' feed. It isn't just a chaff. Therefore if you feed the recommended amount then you would not need to feed anything else as the horse will be getting all of their nutritional requirements. We sell it at the shop I work in and it is extremly popular, with people saying their oldies are doing really well on it.

Thank you xxRachelxx, that has certainly helped!