Feeding a broodmare

sarahrees

www.myspace.com
We bought a TB broodmare 5 weeks ago in foal to my friends coloured stallion. We picked her up last week as she had a foal at foot that was to be weaned first.

This years foal has dragged her down and she hasnt had any hard feed over the winter. Ive put her out in a good field of grass. Not long grass but good quailty, she's on her own with the boys next door. Since friday shes had a small feed a day (only small cause shes not used to being fed) of corse mix, chaff and speddy beet.

Am asking a bit of advice to what to feed her so she gains weight before the harder weather sets in, but to do it the right way with out rink to her and the foal, have emailed D&H and baileys and just waiting for a reply.

Shes 15yrs old had two healthy foals with the lady that we bought her off. She's an exracer and has a phobia about being locked in to the extent she turns herself inside out. This winter she will be out but with access to an open stable at all times with ad lib haylage.

Thanks
xxx

Clodagh

Visit site
I found Baileys really rubbish at replying to emails but excellent on the phone. My mare is now on Baileys stud cubes and balancer (a scoop of cubes and 1 cup of balancer) a day and has put on weight.
Thats not conclusive though as she is also having ad lib hay at night so she might have done anyway!

Enfys

Visit site
Hi Sarah,

When is the foal due? I'd go with what others say about hard feed (since I only feed oats and alfa plus Selenium and Vit E, and that is absolutely BOUND to be wrong, but then I am feeding for a different climate, I go onto a broodmare mix for the last few months) ad-lib hay is fine, mineral lick and a good rug.

Out is far better for her anyway, keep her chilled. I know that she'll be getting the best of everything but just feed by eye, I've never seen one of yours looking bad yet, so this one will be fine, and you have Sue on hand anyway.

Enjoy her.

sarahrees

www.myspace.com
22 of may
smile.gif
sue bought up the scan pic yesterday so exicted
smile.gif

So keep her on what i feed the boys and then bring in the stud mix the last 3 months ?

Colagh which balancer do you use?

want her to have the best. Shes not mega skin and bone. But not fat for me.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Echo what the others have said but please be careful about feeding her too soon after weaning, you don't want her producing more milk at this time. Ad lib hay until she dries up then the feeds you have mentioned should be fine; don't let her get cold or too wet either as the weight would drop off again.

imafluffybunny

Visit site
Mine get Baileys stud balancer, alpha a and sugar beet, they look great on it. I would put her on a balancer now so she is getting the nutrients she needs then put her on a stud cube/mix in the last 3 months.