feeding a broodmare

TwixMum

Visit site
so my mare is heading off to the stud in a couple weeks to be put in foal. what do you feed your mares? i have spoken to the vet/stud and got their recommendations but would be interested in hearing from other people

cundlegreen

Visit site
They are far better fit, and not carrying extra weight. I had a mare in full work eventing, she managed to get in foal without me knowing, and was only spotted that she was 2 months before foaling. She had been doing Novice and Intermediate courses on very little food as she was a good doer. Produced a good size healthy foal. better too lean than too fat.

neweventer

Visit site
On both occasions of putting my mare into foal I didn't change her feed at all ( I suspect she was on topline cubes). She is a Warmblood and we evented her. First time she was fit from being ridden - went to stud and when she came home we carried on with ridden work. I can't remember what she was on at the time. At the time I spoke to my vet about putting her on stud mix/balancers and he was very specific about not doing it. He advised at the time about just adding a general suppliment ( I use codlavine) and not to use too much as it can have negative affects. First time round (as she had been worked up to Dec) we had to change her to a stud mix in the Feb before foaling in the May as she was loosing condition. This time around (unfortunately she was non ridden when going into foal) we have again kept her feed to Hi-fi cubes and Speedi-beet with suppliment. she has lived out all winter with no rug and ad lib hay and looks great (maybe a bit too good). I have just added a broodmare mix in now (spillers) as shes due in 3 weeks. This isn't because shes in poor condition it is purely based on her weight loss last time when lactating and so thought best get her tummy used to some feed gradually - shes only having half a stubs scoop a day though.

cundlegreen

Visit site
On both occasions of putting my mare into foal I didn't change her feed at all ( I suspect she was on topline cubes). She is a Warmblood and we evented her. First time she was fit from being ridden - went to stud and when she came home we carried on with ridden work. I can't remember what she was on at the time. At the time I spoke to my vet about putting her on stud mix/balancers and he was very specific about not doing it. He advised at the time about just adding a general suppliment ( I use codlavine) and not to use too much as it can have negative affects. First time round (as she had been worked up to Dec) we had to change her to a stud mix in the Feb before foaling in the May as she was loosing condition. This time around (unfortunately she was non ridden when going into foal) we have again kept her feed to Hi-fi cubes and Speedi-beet with suppliment. she has lived out all winter with no rug and ad lib hay and looks great (maybe a bit too good). I have just added a broodmare mix in now (spillers) as shes due in 3 weeks. This isn't because shes in poor condition it is purely based on her weight loss last time when lactating and so thought best get her tummy used to some feed gradually - shes only having half a stubs scoop a day though.
The time to feed is when the foal is on the ground. I have a TB mare, who had a colt 5 days ago. He is a guts, and she is up to 15 lbs of stud nuts and approx 3 lbs of soaked oats. We haven't got great grass atm, and this is a racehorse, so the mare needs to keep in good condition. She's struggling to produce enough milk atm.