Feeding a horse with ulcers?

MagicMelon

Visit site
I suspect one of my horses might have ulcers, I will get them scoped if necessary (but just had a huge vet bill!) so I wondered what would be best to feed to minimise/help them meantime? I know they shouldnt have an emptry stomach and are best ridden when they have some forage in them, this is something I've always done (ie. they have hay 24/7, have access to a haynet at shows when standing about, I ride them directly off the grass as they live out etc.). I've stripped cereals out of the diet recently and am feeding just grass nuts, coprameal and veg oil.

Are there any good over the counter supplements that help? Any tips would be great thanks.

booandellie

Visit site
Hi, i used to share a horse with ulcers, the only thing i can comment on about your management is that this mare couldn't be ridden straight off the grass as she was more girthy when being tacked up and a lot stressier hacking than if she came in for a few hours on to hay and then ridden- i believe it was the sugars in the grass. As for over the counter supplements i tried everything with varying sucess from exegus, limestone flour, probiotics and specific products for ulcer prone horses and the one that seemed to work the best was topspec ulsakind even though some people would say it's full of fillers.i guess you just have to try and find one that suits yours. Good luck , ulcers are a headache!

wench

Visit site
Bringing in before riding and feeding hay or Alfafa chaff before you ride is a popular suggestion.

There are loads of "over the counter" products you could try. I've had particular success with one called Aquacid. Others to look at would be coligone, right track or equishure. However these are all quite expensive.

I think grass nuts are generally quite high in sugar, maybe try something lower in sugar, such as some high fibre cubes?

sychnant

Visit site
Mine's on Thunderbrook Grass Chaff, Pro balance from Progressive Earth, Linseed, Fast Fibre and the Ulcer treatment from Equine Science, which has really helped her. It's not exactly cheap but not the most expensive, Equine Science are very happy to talk to you if you give them a ring :)

JillA

Visit site

nikkimariet

Visit site
Alfa makes mine horrendous and many horses have adverse effects

I've just changed my barefoot exracer onto a cereal based diet... He looks flipping amazing!!!!

Slobbermash, linseed, readigrass, fibre nuggets and rolled oats.

I treat the ulcers with protexin acid ease and sulcrafate. Mine did 2 months on gastrogard and it really didn't help him.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
If it's ulcers, get some Nexium from E-bay (check prices - don't go for the first you see - they're VERY variable.) 7 pills a day is about right for an 'average' horse and should start to show a result (reduction in symptoms - what symptoms have you noticed) although it will take 6-8 weeks to cure.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Oh interesting - I thought I was to reduce cereals but actually its the sugars that are the problem, ok! (shows what I know about ulcers, never had a horse who showed any signs of them before). Thanks, will look into the things mentioned and see how we get on :)

JillA

Visit site
If it's ulcers, get some Nexium from E-bay (check prices - don't go for the first you see - they're VERY variable.) 7 pills a day is about right for an 'average' horse and should start to show a result (reduction in symptoms - what symptoms have you noticed) although it will take 6-8 weeks to cure.

How is your youngster Janet, I have wondered once or twice whether he is improving on the Nexium

Flora

Visit site
I was always told it was no sugars or cereals so we fed our ex racers on Top Spec feeding and no need for supplements. Fed hay and some chaff before he got ridden.

HashRouge

Visit site
Bringing in before riding and feeding hay or Alfafa chaff before you ride is a popular suggestion.
What I've never quite understood is why, if a horse is on decent grazing, there is a need to bring them in and feed hay or chaff. Surely grazing, where they the horse and gut are constantly moving, is the best thing for them? I'm genuinely interested in answers to this, because my sister was given this advice for her gelding and I never really understood it. Especially as he is a crib biter, and tends to do that more if he is in the stable eating hay/ feed.

TGM

Visit site
What I've never quite understood is why, if a horse is on decent grazing, there is a need to bring them in and feed hay or chaff. Surely grazing, where they the horse and gut are constantly moving, is the best thing for them? I'm genuinely interested in answers to this, because my sister was given this advice for her gelding and I never really understood it. Especially as he is a crib biter, and tends to do that more if he is in the stable eating hay/ feed.

I don't actually know the answer to this, but I would hazard a guess that hay or chaff might contain more tough, chewy fibre than a lot of grass in horse paddocks (particularly as if the grass is regularly grazed the horse will be eating luscious new growth). The theory is that hay or chaff fibre forms a 'raft' on top of the stomach acid and stops the acid splashing when the horse is in work, and it is possible that juicy grass may not be so good at performing that function. Just a guess though, so would be interesting to know if anyone else has a better idea.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I suspected that myt mare might have ulcers (she had been fed a high cereal/sugar diet before I bought her) and following a tip on here, I started her on Aloe Vera juice. Her behaviour changed noticably but if she misses a day we can tell. I make sure these days that I never run out!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Thanks everyone, I went out and bought Happy Tummy chaff today so have taken her off her usual feed and started introducing this instead (along with Copra and oil) and I'll give her a handful before riding.

My other query is - is it possible for ANY horse to get ulcers? I know the usual victims are generally stabled etc. but mine live out 24/7 on minimal grass (surely good sugar-wise) and have permanent access to a big bale of hay at all times. I dont know what else I can do maintenence wise other than play around with her hard feed?