Feeding a little .....

Dougal9

Visit site
Ok so i have my first horse, my yard manager wants to keep him on a miniscule amount of food so that he doesn't become too sharp whilst we are getting to know each other. He is turned out during the day and has plenty of hay. Is this ok ? How can i make sure he is getting all the nutrients he needs ? He is an 11 yr old connie cross and at the minute he is in light work i.e about 4 1 hr hacks a week plus a one hour lesson and one schooling session. He is in good health and condition too.
Any thoughts ? I just want to do the best for him.

Tamski

Visit site
What about using Equibites?

I use them for two of mine as they don't need any extra hard feed but these give them the bits and mins that they need.

TGM

Visit site
Sounds like a very sensible yard manager to me! The most important part of a horse's diet is forage ( ie hay/grass etc) and if he is getting plenty of that he should be fine if he is a good doer in light work. You can always give him a vit/min supplement in a handful of chaff if it makes you feel better!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Be guided by your YO! Very few horses need more than good quality hay/grazing - and natives have adapted over theyears to need only reasonable amounts of that! At this time of the year the grass is just starting to grow, he will be fine!

catroo

Visit site
Great advice from yard manager

If he's getting a minuscule amount of hard feed then it sounds like you'd be able to to give a vit & min supplement if needed, or you could give a mineral lick in the stable. Not a molassed one though!

I really would follow yard managers advice, she'll know what the grazing and quality of roughage is like