Feeding a young horse and cost

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I am considering buying a medium sized happy hacker type younger horse, probably around 3, and am doing some budgeting.

What are your youngsters eating at the moment? And what is the monthly damage?

The other two are on grass 24/7 and have ad lib hay so I am thinking new horse would do the same, dependent on individual needs of course.

Older horse is on veteran vitality and pony gets a token handful of chaff because he only has to look at food to inflate. I was thinking hay and a balancer for new horse but I’d be interested to hear what you feed your younger horses.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
If the 3 year old looked in good condition and was a good weight I would just feed plenty of hay or haylage, I think with access to grass as well it's enough for most younger horses especially as they won't be doing any exercise or very little to start with.

Palindrome

Visit site
Adlib hay plus spillers nuts with salt and linseed when he comes in to be worked (with a joint supplement but only because he is an ex-racer).

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I raised three youngsters on good haylage adlib through the harder months when little grazing available. All have some common blood in them so are easier keepers. I used suregrow from foal to 3 yrs. I do think that stuff is an amazing product and makes life so easy. Hay in the summer if needed.

Didn't hard feed them at 3 plus, as the filly was a butter ball and remained that way until this year at 7, she finally lost her tub and remains trim. I was forbidden to feed the TB x Cob youngster as he was growing too fast. The bonkers carthorse had a carrot to come into as I had to bribe him to be caught.