Feeding advice, Please

Jax'sowner

New User
Visit site
I have just taken on two older mares (I am getting grazing in payment for helping out)

1 bay mare 15.2 TB - she is currently on Dengie Lite (I think) and a small type pony nut (no bag so I can't be sure what it is)

2nd bay mare 13.2 TB x Connie - also on the same feed

both girls are 20 years young.

Can anymore suggest anything that would help them? They don't have ad-lib hay (I feel there should get this due to the lack of grass at the moment, am I wrong in that thought?)

Both girls are still ridden every second weekend (when owners daughter is home)

Owner feel they are missing the love and attention they deserve (hence me)

Also I have never delt with sweat itch ( I believe the TB may suffer, again this is on an observation ) - just looking for advise - I will not proceed with anything before first consulting the owner.

This is also the same for any feed changes, I am looking for advise so I know how best to proceed.

Thank you in advance

Jax'sowner

New User
Visit site
Do they need anything to change? Whats wrong with the current feed?

D you mean sweet itch?
Yes, Sorry meant sweet itch? (I could blame the computer, but the fault is mine, I have and always will get the two mixed up ... my bad !! o_O)

I think the TB looks a tad under weight, I am going to check her weight with a weigh tape tomorrow.

Its possible nothing needs to change, I just thought asking more knowledgable folk might give me so other options to look at..

claret09

Visit site
my advice with sweet itch is washing really regularly - during the summer my boy has a bath at least twice a week. we also use kilitch which is excellent. you need to be on top of it before they start itching

windand rain

Visit site
low sugar low starch high fibre all the way but you will need to make sure they dont have any allergies if they or one is itchy. Micronised Linseed is my go to feed for weight gain

TGM

Visit site
Google the Blue Cross condition score guide, this will give a better idea of whether the TB is under weight than using a weigh tape. Remember the hint of a rib is no bad thing at this time of year when the grass will soon be growing again.