Feeding barley

JaneyB

Visit site
I've bought a sack of Allen & Page micronised Barley, but notice it doesn't offer feeding quantity advice on the back!

Does anyone know what quantities are generally fed when added to conditioning cubes and alfa oil.

I will phone them, just not got chance at the mo and was generally wondering.

vhf

Visit site
Start with a small handful, and build it up gradually until you're getting the effect you wanted. By then, you'll have had a chance to chat to the advisors!

TGM

Visit site
Well it all depends on the weight of your horse, its workload, how much in the way of conditioning cubes you are feeding, how many feeds a day it gets and whether it needs to maintain or gain condition!

As a very rough guide, my veteran mare (16.1hh 7/8 TB) who tends to drop condition gets 2kg micronised barley a day, mixed with Dengie Alfa Beet and some oil. That is divided into 2 feeds a day.

Your case may be totally different though, so your best bet would be to send A&P a quick email stating horse's size, workload etc - helpline@allenandpage.co.uk

fireduplee

Visit site
my mare was allergic to the barley, and all her hair fell out over 3 days, she went totally bold, she was only getting a handful twice a day, as soon as I realized what had caused the hair loss(help of nutritionist) I stopped the barley and the hair started to grow back immediately. good luck

TGM

Visit site
It's true that some horses are allergic to barley, but apparently the micronized version is meant to be less of a problem because of the process it goes through. However, any feed should always be introduced gradually to minimise problems!

TGM

Visit site
Just wanted to add, if you are not feeding the recommended amount of conditioning cubes, which is likely if you are feeding the barley alongside it, then you should really feed a broad spectrum vit/min supplement pro rata. Ie, if you are feeding half the recommended amount of cubes, then feed half the daily dosage of supplement. (That assumes you are feeding supplemented conditioning cubes - most conditioning cubes are supplemented, but the TopSpec ones are not because they are designed to be feed with TS balance to provide vit/mins).

JaneyB

Visit site
Thanks for advice. I have phoned a&p and am waiting for a call back.

She has been fed barley before and didn't have a reaction, but will watch just in case.

Bossanova

Visit site
My horse has micronised barley as she adores it. I dont feed a lot, prob not up to recommended amount (1/3 of a round bow scoop)

Bossanova

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Is that 1/3 of a scoop twice daily or split between two feeds?

[/ QUOTE ]

She has that 3 times a day while she's competing