Feeding for energy and stamina

Nellyharv

New User
Visit site
I have an 11 year old Connie mare - she is ridden 5/6 times a week, including a variety of work - hacking with hill work, schooling and at present competing once a week.
She is a very laid back type and on a permanent diet, loosing weight (for her own benefit) gradually.
Her regime is - turnout for 7 hours in small paddock, brought in for remainder with small weighed haynets fed though out the evening.
Currently fed literally a handful of frickers competition to have her joint supplement added, appreciate the amount I’m feeding will have no bearing on her energy levels.
So cautious to feed in any greater bulk as don’t want her to put on any of the weight she has lost ……
She just looses energy when out jumping after around fence 3 she can feel lethargic, bless her she keeps trying but would love to be able to give her something to help with her energy levels?
I’ve just bought omega B12 boost.
Has anybody had any experience with this?
Any other recommendations?

Attachments

• 738A6DD5-9911-4B02-AC92-8A6BE1FA2021.jpeg
    738A6DD5-9911-4B02-AC92-8A6BE1FA2021.jpeg
    151 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

TheMule

Visit site
If she's routinely standing in for 17 hours a day and only worked 5 days a week I'd say she's just not moving enough. Work her every day with a day off once a fortnight, start to incorporate interval work, vary it more-gallops, water treadmill, more polwork/ small gymnastic work in the arena

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
If she's routinely standing in for 17 hours a day and only worked 5 days a week I'd say she's just not moving enough. Work her every day with a day off once a fortnight, start to incorporate interval work, vary it more-gallops, water treadmill, more polwork/ small gymnastic work in the arena
I had missed the time spent inside a stable! Perhaps, if she can't have more turnout, work her 2xdaily

Sossigpoker

Visit site
I've got a similar issue with my cob as found that over night turnout left him very tired. So he's better off having less turn out and I added Fast Fibre to his diet (be gets about 3/4 Stubbs scoop per day ).
Before I was only able to work him for two days and even on the second day he'd be flat and tired. Now I'm able to work him for 3-4 days.
I'd maybe try a Fibre based feed like this ?

millitiger

Visit site
Definitely increase her time spent moving.

My boy is fit and a good weight I e. can slightly see and easily feel ribs (which is always the first step).

He is on D&H Competition Mix which is sugary rocket fuel and wouldn't normally be my first choice, but it gives him loads of energy, stamina and sparkle for his work.

However, if they aren't worked enough or moving enough, anything you feed is just going to turn into excess calories and then to fat unfortunately.

Portly

Visit site
Ive had the same issue, he is now on D&H Concentrate muesli, he only gets the equivalent of half a stubs scoop split over the day.
Its made a huge difference without the bulk, I was having to feed large quantities to get the same result which meant he got fat.
Im really concentrating on getting the extra weight off with lots of cardio work, but the feed has made a difference without stupidity I can also add oats if needed.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I’d feed her a pellet or powder balancer, I rate Equimins. Won’t put weight on but ensures she’s getting everything.

If she’s on little grass she could also be lacking vitamin E, which comes from rich grass so could be worth supplementing that.

whizzer

Visit site
Sounds similar to my connie cross,mines energetic in winter but can struggle a bit in summer. I used to keep my mare in all day & turn out on bare field at night but last summer & now this year I've left her out most of the time & I exercise her 6 days a week & she's much fitter,more toned looking & stamina is loads better. Last year I fed some slow release energy cubes in summer & this year I've fed top spec turbo. I feed a small amount daily but up it when she's doing more at weekends/got a show/lesson etc. I'm not convinced the top spec is better than the cubes so I'll prob go back to them as a lot cheaper! I feed salt daily as think this really helps. I use energy cookies on show days. I've heard good things about the Omega B12 & I'll prob try that soon.

Birker2020

Visit site
I used to feed Spillers instant Response, they did a mix for laid back horses. It just increased Baileys stamina as she'd be falling asleep in the sun tied to the back of the trailer in between classes!