Feeding for more energy?

rara007

Visit site
Pony is currently on blue chip 'normal' at his recommended rate for his size with grass unmollased chaff with a bit of honeychop. His body condition is ideal but his workload is ramping up so I don't mind a bit of weight gain.

He's not lazy but a bit more 'fire in the belly' and also the blocks to build stamina would be appreciated. He's in medium work but aiming for hard by early next summer season. As a native he's not a poor doer but by no means a pig, out 24/7 on a hill in a herd. He's 6, just starting to get to the point where to progress he needs to get truely fit, having been a fat youngster and in light-medium work 18 months now.

Anyone got any sneaky secrets of things to add or change? Have previously used the baileys endurance feed with another pony, and the pure range for weight gain on a previous horse...goes without saying must be FEI legal.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
crushed/rolled bashed in some way for digestion purposes.

I actually found that degree of bashing depended on brand as much as the supposed method.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Looking for almost exactly the same I gave Leo oats. I've never had an issue with them before and really rate them as a feed. Leo went mental! Kept rearing up which escalated into caprioling across the school towing the carriage behind. In hand he was knocking people about and barging out of doors. He was so agitated and angry. Because I am a bit dim it took me 48 hours to work it out. They werent a fun 48 hours. Its not even that he had any extra stamina as by the time I had worked him into the ground to regain some sanity, he was then knackered. So just bear in mind, not everything gets on with them!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Agreed ester ! The ones I've got at the moment are barely rolled at all, the ones I had from countrywide were almost like porridge oats!

My fit but idle sec d does well on oats, she also has linseed and grass nuts.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I used flaked peas in small quantities for hard working hunters years ago.

Also, very recently, used Spillers Slow Release competition mix on a dressage horse, and found it very useful giving plenty of sensible energy that could be channeled in the right direction (not upwards !)

WelshD

Visit site
Baileys Outshine does the job for my mare just adds that bit of sparkle and stamina that she needs

Bernster

Visit site
aiming for the same, I've started adding rolled oats to Finnegans feed, although mine sounds a better doer than yours. Certainly not been rocket fuel but he's pretty laid back generally and is only getting a 1/4 scoop per feed (building up slowly) but he's got a bit more in the tank these days.

Also combined with a different approach to riding, to get him sharper off my leg.

Having read around a bit I've also added a basic balancer which seems to be recommended when feeding oats.

JillA

Visit site
I found oats weren't rolled enough and passed straight through. Naked oats are better if you can get them, and I have heard some horses find barley (micronised) is rocket fuel - mine never did, they just gained weight on it.

rara007

Visit site
He has been on outshine and linseed before in the past- I have linseed in 'stock' so he might as well go back on that, with the oats to start with and see how he goes :) Just ordered some!

oldie48

Visit site
I've got a pretty sparky forward going horse on a forge only diet, if I think he needs something extra in the winter I add micronised linseed, cheap and seems to do the job without making him too hot for me.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I don't think any of Rara's driving ponies have ever been allowed to be not straight, she's a right stickler! :D