Feeding good doer for energy

MrsMurs

Visit site
Morning all,
I know this has been discussed many times, but here goes.

my gelding is 12, owned 4 years, ridden 6 times a week with a variety of hacking, jumping, schooling. We compete in dressage, low level eventing, working hunter at riding club competitions. He’s fit enough to cope with what we get up to, supple and healthy. Loves his work and a party to go to.

feed wise he has Alfa a molasses free, linseed, pea protein, pure balancer supplement 2 x daily.

I soak his hay in spring as he is on good grass and as a middle weight good doer he does tend to balloon otherwise.

he’s a very laid back Chappie, and while I love this about him, I’ve been toying with the idea of adding some oats or a performance mix to give him a bit more fast energy and sparkle ahead of, for example, a dressage test. As I’ve always fed for the good doer I feel a bit out of my depth looking at performance feeds. Does anyone have any experience of adding to feed for an energy boost?

GreyDot

Visit site
Seems like lots of feed already - what is it that he is lacking at dressage that makes you want to add more feed? If it's just 'sparkle' I would work more at home on getting him to consitenty be working a level above what you are doing at competitions and you will find he will be able to display more confidence in the whiteboards when he's at ease with the movements.

Nari

Visit site
I'm another who thinks that's a fair bit of feed for a good doer. It's all slow release energy though so aimed at giving calories without fizz which is the exact opposite of what you say you want. I'd try cutting right back on the alfalfa and linseed and adding in a handful of oats twice a day, if in a week he's still lacking oomph then increase the oats.

ponynutz

Visit site
Mine (welsh) was better on oats. He never put on weight as a result as he put in more effort into general life. In hindsight I wished I'd fed them earlier as I think he just didn't have what he needed to do what I was asking even when very fit :).

Mine was also good on oats.

At her biggest work load (2x a day or equivalent to cope with pony club camp) she was on lo cal balancer, oats, lo cal speedi beet and oestress as well as unlimited hay and grass.

That was A LOT of food for her but only once a day and not as much as yours is on. She was doing massive amounts of work so it balanced out. Sounds like yours is getting a lot of food already and while oats might help, they can make some horses put weight on.

Widgeon

Visit site
Another vote from me for oats. I got to a point with my cob where he needed a bit more "whizz", and a scoop of oats every day did it, so I've kept him on them - scoop of oats, handful of chaff, and some linseed oil every morning. He's the best doer I've ever met but thankfully oats don't seem to put weight on him and they don't turn him into a nutter either - just a bit more keen and sparky. Worth a go!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I know milliepops used oats for her welshie dressage girl too.

I always figure that if you have oats and linseed that's your fast release and slow release energy sorted ;).

I'm Dun

Visit site
I know milliepops used oats for her welshie dressage girl too.

I always figure that if you have oats and linseed that's your fast release and slow release energy sorted ;).

I think she used topspec turbo. I remember asking her about it. Its one of those things that's designed to be fed for more oomph and doesn't need to be fed daily so would be worth looking at.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Oh also when I was riding I remembered it also made a big difference if I kept him in the night before going to a competition. Better if he got his beauty sleep apparently.

ID I did use spillers instant energy previously but his feet didn't like it. Fine on just oats.

MrsMurs

Visit site
I was told recently the exact opposite that his feed was too much! ?? I know it’s horses for courses, but my lad 2 years ago was on soaked hay and oat straw chop to reduce calories and he felt so lacking to the point I was worried about him. He is a very muscular strong horse currently so I don’t want to deplete his nutrition to the point this happens again.

What would you advise for nourishment and vitality without weight gain?

MrsMurs

Visit site
Oh also when I was riding I remembered it also made a big difference if I kept him in the night before going to a competition. Better if he got his beauty sleep apparently.

I give him the day off before a competition ?

MrsMurs

Visit site
Seems like lots of feed already - what is it that he is lacking at dressage that makes you want to add more feed? If it's just 'sparkle' I would work more at home on getting him to consitenty be working a level above what you are doing at competitions and you will find he will be able to display more confidence in the whiteboards when he's at ease with the movements.
He’s all that, an absolute gem. He wants to work, tries so hard to please. I just wonder if he needs more fast energy for more strenuous excursions.

MrsMurs

Visit site
Mine (welsh) was better on oats. He never put on weight as a result as he put in more effort into general life. In hindsight I wished I'd fed them earlier as I think he just didn't have what he needed to do what I was asking even when very fit :).
I think I will try this. Thank you for your reply

MrsMurs

Visit site
I'm another who thinks that's a fair bit of feed for a good doer. It's all slow release energy though so aimed at giving calories without fizz which is the exact opposite of what you say you want. I'd try cutting right back on the alfalfa and linseed and adding in a handful of oats twice a day, if in a week he's still lacking oomph then increase the oats.
Thank you, this is where I was getting confused. Fast and slow release energy.

MrsMurs

Visit site
Thank you, he is very established and confident, he’s also a little (16.2hh) workhorse. I just want to make sure I’m supporting him nutritionally as opposed to starving him of what his body needs.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I think she used topspec turbo. I remember asking her about it. Its one of those things that's designed to be fed for more oomph and doesn't need to be fed daily so would be worth looking at.
Yes indeed. My welshie didn't seem to digest oats with husks very well but topspec turbo gave her a bit more pizazz.

Fitness, training etc will only get you so far ? it's important as part of the picture for sure but some of them respond well to some rocket fuel on top.

smiggy

Visit site
If feeding a bit extra for sparkle, shall we say, what sort of amounts to top spec turbo would you be looking at ?

MrsMurs

Visit site
Yes indeed. My welshie didn't seem to digest oats with husks very well but topspec turbo gave her a bit more pizazz.

Fitness, training etc will only get you so far ? it's important as part of the picture for sure but some of them respond well to some rocket fuel on top.
Thank you, yes, this is where my mind is at currently. I feel we’re ticking all the boxes in training and fitness (although I guess you can always be fitter, but I mean for the work we’re doing).

re the power and performance, would you feed just ahead of a comp?

also, do you feed a balancer?
many thanks in advance

scats

Visit site
Millie is a ridiculous good doer who is prone to being a bit lazy in some aspects (but often puts energy into the things she shouldn’t)
She’s only on a balancer and I add oats as required. If she’s not doing anything needing much energy, I simply give her a token half handful. I up it as needed.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
While I do add oats and recommended that previously, I also add a bit more high octane by feeding Pavo Top Sport (easily available where I live). I would start with oats though and from there.

I don't feed the Top Sport when I'm on holiday/not riding or working him. When he's in regular work he gets it daily. It's a bit "junky' in that it's primarily soy and corn, but I think it helps. It takes more to get him in shape in comparison to a TB or lighter sporthorse (he's a PRE) in general. I also feed electrolytes in addition to his minerals (copper, zinc, vit E) because he's a heavy sweater.

Last edited: