Feeding hay from a bucket

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Short version is i have a haycube and not allowed to use at current yard, I feed soaked hay on the floor. Ive changed bedding and im having to put a whole bed down in the stable as he drags it around and it gets mushy.

I can't put the soaked hay on the bed so was thinking a large tub trug somehow connected to the wall as he will drag it over.

Any suggestions on how to do this?

I need to do it today so I'm primed and ready to go to B&Q (thats what you do on a Sunday isn't it?!)

Equi

Visit site
He’s likely to just pull it all out and make it a mess anyway. Why are you not allowed to use the cube that seems a little silly.

chaps89

Visit site
You want 2 of these clips screwed into the wall, ideally in a corner, 1 on each side of the corner iyswim and a very large tub trug. Clip the handles of the trug into the clip and voila.

Eta - you can also attach a haynet inside this way which will help with not dragging it out everywhere. Best to use the smallest sized net you can for that though

Dyllymoo

Visit site
He’s likely to just pull it all out and make it a mess anyway. Why are you not allowed to use the cube that seems a little silly.
Its not about him making a mess its about the soaked hay making the bed a mess. It was fine before but I now need the whole stable to have a bed and I dont want to put soaked hay on the bed :(

The amount of water and even if i didn't soak in it I would need to rinse it out every day which wouldn't go well

gallopingby

Visit site
I don’t understand why you can’t use your hay cube? They come with a fixing plate and a net over the top would prevent hay being pulled out. Not much different to using a trug!

Julia0803

Visit site
Those clips look good.. wish I’d read this before.

Only this week I’ve attached a regular tie ring and trug handle height.
I then fill a trug with hay and then put the whole lot inside a haynet. I then knot the string tight at the top so it can’t start to open. Then loop the string up, through the handle and ring and tie, wind any spare round and round to get it out of the way. I also use a carabiner clip and clip handle to tie ring.

My horse isn’t shod tho so less of a worry having nets low down.

Doing all if that means that he’s eating at floor level, can’t Hoover it instantly as small holed net, and can’t drag it about as clipped to wall. If I’ve soaked the hay it also stops the bed getting wet.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
A few things you could do here. I feed my horse his watered hay in a lattice style hay net/bag. His hay isn't soaking wet though, and I put dry hay under it to collect what drips. He eats what is in the net first, then the floor, so this works.

His neighbor has a rectangular box built with a plastic lining of sorts and a cover over the top with holes in it. The cover moves down as the level of hay decreases. I think it is attached with bungee style cords but I cannot recall. You can also do this with a hay with a haynet too. Lots of "hay feeders" or "slow hay feeder" designs on the internet that you can copy and alter to suit your needs.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Is it the the YO doesn't actually want you to soak the hay? I can't see what difference it makes if yor hay is soaked in the cube, or some other way. If necessary could you put the soaked-some-other-way hay in the hay cube to keep it off the bed?

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Is it the the YO doesn't actually want you to soak the hay? I can't see what difference it makes if yor hay is soaked in the cube, or some other way. If necessary could you put the soaked-some-other-way hay in the hay cube to keep it off the bed?

The hay cube capacity is a lot more than the bucket I use to soak. If I put the soaked hay in the cube just to feed from unfortunately I would need to rinse it out every day as it has so many nooks that the hay gets in. That wouldn't go down well.

Its just not an option

Polos Mum

Visit site
a spring clip on the wall at the height the tub is on the floor (so it's just to stop him kicking it over rather than carrying weight) sounds like your best bet.
If you can't get enough hay in a tub then 2 x tubs - rather than anything elaborate.

1602491323290.png

cauda equina

Visit site
a spring clip on the wall at the height the tub is on the floor (so it's just to stop him kicking it over rather than carrying weight) sounds like your best bet.
If you can't get enough hay in a tub then 2 x tubs - rather than anything elaborate.

View attachment 56874
That clip frightens me
One of mine got a similar thing (on the outside of his stable, attached to a bit of chain to keep the door shut) through the full thickness of one nostril

jnb

Visit site
Please point the clips downwards away from the horse if you use them, someone's horse got the clip through its lip, wasn't pretty

Dyllymoo

Visit site
Well if I'm honest I put the bucket in last night (not secured anywhere) and in the time it took me to go to the hay barn and back he had tipped it up, so I made the executive decision to take the bucket away and just tip on the bedding. This morning all hay was gone, and his bed didn't look damp so I think I will just need to try to "drain" for as long as possible if I don't decide to clip the bucket to anything.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I typically use a screw eye instead of a clip and then fasten or tie to that.

I also water my hay or soak and remove from the water, go ride and do whatever, and then put it in the stable. Its wet, but not sopping. Seems to be the best approach.