Feeding hay replacers - containers?

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
My oldie seems to be struggling chewing his hay and haylage although I don’t think he quite needs a hay replaced yet but I’m thinking ahead.

I’m trying to think of ways of feeding it where he can’t tip the container over and potentially prevents pooping in it. There’s no way a trug or similar would stay upright it would be tipped over and mashed in. He’s also not unknown to poop in his corner manger or automatic waterer.

I wondered if a hay cube would be suitable (although expensive) or something fixed to the wall that could be taken off and cleaned. Any ideas appreciated.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
One of my stable neighbours used to feed soaked hay etc. in a hay cube.
The inside quickly became full of stinking hay slime, and the shape makes them difficult to clean out. Avoid.

I know some people fasten a tie ring but with a clip on it and attach tub trug or similar handles to it, to prevent horses tipping them out.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
One of my stable neighbours used to feed soaked hay etc. in a hay cube.
The inside quickly became full of stinking hay slime, and the shape makes them difficult to clean out. Avoid.

I know some people fasten a tie ring but with a clip on it and attach tub trug or similar handles to it, to prevent horses tipping them out.

Good to know about the hay cube that would be an expensive mistake. I did wonder about that but as it has a draining valve I thought it might be ok. Trouble with trugs is that they’re not very robust, easily flattened and the handles break. Maybe I could find a tyre rubber equivalent.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I think you can get large tyre rubber trugs? Or get an actual tyre to put a trug in to keep it upright. An old fashioned brick/stone manger is what's needed really.