Feeding haylage to a laminitic

peanut

Visit site
What are your thoughts on feeding haylage to a previously (9 years ago) laminitic please? I've read recently that haylage is lower in sugar than hay, although higher in nutrients, because the sugar turns to lactic acid in the gut. In an old blog from Nic at Rockley Farm (hoof rehabilitation) she says that she feeds haylage all the time.

Basically, haylage is a lot cheaper for me than hay. However, because I know that laminitis starts in the gut and don't fully understand about lactic acid, I'm worrying about the effect of it on the gut from feeding two haynets a day. Am I worrying unnecessarily?

Last edited:

Fransurrey

Visit site
I fed haylage for years to my EMS laminitis prone pony with no issues. I had to feed only that in the end, as he coughed even on soaked hay as he got older. I fed only meadow haylage and bought it in bulk, so there was less variation (same batch number).

NinjaPony

Visit site
I feed haylage to my connie due to his breathing issues. I feed him timothy haylage, which is lower in sugar, starch and protein than ryegrass. So far so good, he likes it and it hasn't given him any issues. Plus I've reduced his hard feed as he is looking good on it.

hihosilver

Visit site
I have a connie cross also that can cough with hay, he just balloons with haylage! We feed ad lib though as that's the easiest way for us. I do find though now he is out he can have hay.