Feeding help

JaneyB

Visit site
Ok, although I know a little about horse feeding, but not alot, i've decided to get more acquainted with it ::)

How do you find out off the manufacturers sites, i.e. dodson & horrell, bailys etc, whether feed is mollassed or what levels of starch it contains?

Generally they only seem to offer such info as protein, oil, fibre etc.

Also, can anyone recommend any good sites which will help me get more acquainted with equine feeding?

Thanks!

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
This..site..might help..you
smile.gif

http://www.horsefeeds.co.uk/

You can always ring the feed companies to find out the info you need.

Bethxx

Happytohack

Visit site
I read your other post re. Simple System feeds. Basically horses are designed to eat loads of fibre and are trickle feeders - that is they eat little and often. If you start off by feeding good quality ad lib hay or haylage plus grazing and then supplement with hard feed if necessary, you won't go far wrong. All mixes contain starch, whereas cubes contain less starch. Sugar beet is either molassed or non-molassed. Speedibeet/Kwikbeet/Eurobeet are all unmolassed. Some chaffs are also molassed. Molasses were traditionally added to horsefeeds to make them more palatable. Some horses heat up on feeds containing starch and sugar. It sounds complicated, but it really isn't. Don't be guided by manufacturer's recommendations - IMO they always advise feeding too much!

JaneyB

Visit site
Hi all, thanks for info.

Contacting feed companies is fine, but I like to read things so I can inwardly digest in my own time!! Otherwise I overheat
cool.gif

Sometimes though fibre isn't enough is it? So if you were feeding unmollassed, nil sugar feeds, what would you add to get a bit more sparkle or oomph if you needed it?

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
Fibre is always the starting point in any feeding regime.Extras only need to be added when the workload increases or your horse starts to drop condition.
In those circumstances there are various additional energy sources that you can use.Oil is good for giving that extra energy and sparkle without blowing your horses brains,as are feed balancers which will give your horse all the additional vitamins and minerals it needs as well as increasing energy levels.
Have you thought of getting a book on feeding?That way you could digest all the info in your own time rather than being overloaded by an over-enthusiastic feed salesperson
wink.gif

JaneyB

Visit site
No, haven't thought about a book....until now!

I'm keeping on though, and you're right, there's loads of info on the we too.

So, i've got the hang of starches, sugars and mollasses etc. So when asking for info are they one and the same thing (sorry if dim question!)?

I notice spillers declare their starch levels, but what about sugar and mollasses, or as previously said, are they the same? If not , is it worth questionning these with the feed providers too?

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
Starches,sugars and molasses are seperate entities,although obviously molasses is a sugar derivative so adds to the "sweet" content of the feed.And it isn't a dim question
smile.gif

Trying to find your way through the minefield that is feeding our equine friends can blow your mind totally!

As for molasses in feeds....most will say in the info about each individual feedstuff if it contains molasses or not.

Hope that helps
smile.gif

Bethxx

JaneyB

Visit site
So would you want to know the amount of mollasses? Or is it that feeds either contain mollasses or not, it doesn't matter on the quantity as any quantity has an effect? (if you get what I mean!)

Well i'm getting there, i've looked at Spillers info and am sending e-mails to request info from other feed companies.

Also got information coming from simple systems, so that will be interesting to compare:)

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
I would want to know whether something was molassed or not,and some feeds will say "lightly" molassed which is better than it being laden with the stuff.
Having too much molasses inva feed would be similar to spoon feeding your kids sugar...ie,not the best idea in the world
crazy.gif

Simple Systems is a based on feeding fibre as the main source of energy,and to be honest I do like their philosophy.

Good luck getting all the info you need

Bethxx