Feeding help?

BeckyMason97

Visit site
I have a 3, coming 4yo mare who needs more muscle on her back end, but I don't want her to gain anymore energy as I'm trying to stop having to lunge her before riding without her broncing me off, she's currently on a cheap horse and pony mix with some top line conditioning cubes, but I don't think it's working for her. Can anyone recommend a feed to help build muscle without fizzing her up?

imafluffybunny

Visit site
Baileys stud balancer. All the vits and mins needed for a young horse and great for condition I have found, I couldnt get topline on my dressage horse and have fed all conditioning feeds, the stud balancer did the trick! I also feed Alpha A oil and fast fibre.

Tnavas

Visit site
Time!

She is still growing and will not look fantastically muscled until she is 5 - 6yrs old. While it's winter turn her out and let her grow, then ride her off grass when she has turned four.

My 3yr old isn't even broken in yet! Her butt is high again and she is gangly as! but in a year or so she will look great.

BeckyMason97

Visit site
We were sold her as a 4yo going 5, but the dentist says otherwise! Can't turn her out at the moment cause the fields are destroyed and haven't got anything to turn her out with unfortunatley! She has gained some muscle from working in the pessoa training aid and the cubes but I think she does just need time! Deffo want to get her off the nasty mix though, just no clue what to give her! Thanks guys.:)

Tnavas

Visit site
Don't worry about the muscle but instead feed her adlib meadow hay, for feeds, extruded barley, meadow chaff, fresh ground linseed and some corn oil.

Can you turn her into an arena to play at all? or free school? be careful using the passoa as hocks and back don't fuse till around 5yrs old so can sometimes cause damage to these joints.

I'd be working her with just a roller, bridle, lunge cavesson and a short time in sidereins or better still a chambon.

I've had a bad time sorting out my mare that was broken with a PAssoa - she developed a terrible mouth from the see saw action of the Passoa.