Feeding ideas

dibbin

Visit site
Jazz is currently fed Rowen Barbary ReadyMash Extra. He gets a double closed handful (dry volume) twice a day with a scoop of NAF ProFeet powder. He used to be on Allen & Page Fast Fibre and Spillers Leisure Cubes, but he stopped eating it.

The ReadyMash Extra is higher in starch and cereal than I would like to be feeding, but at the time I started giving him it I couldn't get him to take anything else - he was on SarcEx as well at that point, which I think has quite a strong taste (I've accidentally inhaled it more than once) but he's not getting that any more so may be less picky.

Can anyone recommend an alternative bucket feed, or even a balancer that I could add the ProFeet to?

* Jazz is a rising 9yo ISH
* He's 16.1hh
* He holds his weight well on his current regime
* He doesn't lack for energy, and could probably do with a bit less to be honest - he's quite forward and can be a bit daft, but I don't know if I'd go as far as to call him fizzy
* He is ridden on average 3 times a week, only hacking at the moment as no arena, but plenty of hills, we're normally out for 40-90 minutes. I work full time and have a long commute so at the moment I can't manage much more exercise than that
* He is turned out at grass for between 9 and 15 hours every day and has good quality ad lib hay at night
* His feet weren't brilliant when I bought him and he has a quarter crack on one hind - they have improved massively on the ProFeet so he needs to stay on that
* He also gets a few carrots and an apple (in his haynet) daily

Thanks in advance :)

katymay

Visit site
I use forage plus winter balancer for mine and I'm really impressed with it, just add it to a bit of non molasses chop, the thunderbrooks chaff is lovely but a little pricier

Tash88

Visit site
I'd just feed something like Hi Fi light with a good balancer - Topspec or something. It doesn't sound like he needs an overly complicated feeding regime; maybe just add some speedibeet if he isn't keen on the Pro Feet.