Feeding linseed

JaneyB

Visit site
Ok, you can probably tell by now i'm reviewing my horses feed and am the currect leader of the spanish inquisition
cool.gif

Have thought about feeding linseed for some time, how do you feed it, what is the best way to feed it to get the best quality and any suggestions on where to get it (cost wise?)
smile.gif

Thanks again
confused.gif

CJ1

Visit site
I feed linseed pellets. A 2kg bag from my local feed merchants cost £1.95 and lasts about a month.

No idea how much difference it makes
grin.gif

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
Linseed makes their coats lovely and shiny,and can be used as a conditioning feed too.
You can't feed it raw as it's poisonous that way,but alot of places do ready cooked linseed in various forms that are safe to use.
It's wonderful stuff,and you don't need to feed huge amounts either
smile.gif

JaneyB

Visit site
Well i'm particularly interested in it for its anti-immflamatory properties. Just wondered whether it was better to feed it one way or another. I know it can be poisonous if not cooked properly.

SSM

Visit site
I used to feed it (centuries ago!!) and am considering feeding again, we used to soak it for 24 hours and then boil it up till it was a lovely jelly. I am also interested to know how it would help in balancing mares hormones (not that mine is marish) but for women linseed is very high in natural phyto-estrogens.

It also is an excellent laxative and is supposed to help the respitary system.

ticobay831

Visit site
I used to feed it to my boys years ago. I used to add a couple of cups of whole barley soak both together overnight and then cook slowly in a huge casserole dish for about fro about four hours or u till all the linseeds have split. It was all nice and gooey, the horses used to love it in there winter feed, warmed them up a treat on those cold wintery nights.
grin.gif

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
OooH, I can just imagine the gorgous smell when it's cooking, nothing to beat it IMO! - until it boils over the stove of course, then it's another matter!

I know some people cook theirs in the microwave, has anyone nice simple details on that, it would be a big help, thanks!?

JaneSteventon

Visit site
Hello. I have just bought a bag of linseed grains for £12 and it will last two horses all winter fed a cup each daily. Incredibly cheap if you don't mind the hassle of cooking it, which I don't. Current thinking is that if you soak a cup of linseed overnight in about two pints of water then boil it hard for ten mins in the morning it is then safe to feed. I did this all last winter and my horses where fine. Mine do live out though, don't know if this amount would be excessive for a stabled horse.