feeding mare after surgery help....

seaview

Visit site
Hi everyone,
April my mare who ahs just had both her ovaries removed due to tumours is back now after the op, it was 4 weeks ago now and she will not put on weight.
she is on 1 scoop (big round one) alfa a
1 scoop barley
1 scoop of sugar beet
blue chip
sunflower seeds
and linseed
twice a day
out 24 hours with hay given as well and a rug on at nights.

Can anyone help I have bought some oats to start her on those too?

Also what is the maximum quantity of sunflower seeds you can feed? i currently feed 1 cup twice a day?

x

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
What kind of grazing is she out on and is she due for a worming?

It can take quite some time for horses to pick up after surgery.

vicster

Visit site
When i had my old boy and he got really skinny i was told to feed him on a regular basis like one feed at breakfast, one at lunch and one in the evening as well as adlib hay and grazing - this might help GOOD LUCK
smile.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I think Vicster's suggestion of splitting feed in to three is a really good one.

However, do speak to the vet about it. Horses can really drop condition after surgery (especially those that have been under a GS). And the vet may not be undully worried, and just tell you to carry on with what you're doing.

What you don't want to do is overload the system, thereby causing more problems for yourself with things like colic etc.

Haylage may be a better route to go instead of the hay, but nutritionally it is higher in value.

Hope she comes right for you.

seaview

Visit site
Thanks Amymay

Think I will do that, I am only worrying because she is thoroughbred and is hard to keep weight on in the winter if i dont get it on now wont!

Thanks
Nat
x

Lark

Visit site
You could also try - Soya beans. I have been recommended to use it for my mare who is also in recovery and a bad doer as a result. I have only started to use it but will update you with the results. The required quantity is 1 cup full per feed.
She is getting 4 feeds daily with:
Dodson and Horrell Buildup - very good
Pasture Mix
Beet pulp
Soya
Carone Oil

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
I wouldn't throw lots of different feeds down her to build up her weight as this could cause untold chaos to her digestive tract - If she's post-op she could be suffering from stress - the whole situation could be rather stressful - I'll PM you
Kate x