Feeding my horse, opinions needed

HorsexHippie

New User
Visit site
Hello all. My horse has 24/7 pasture turnout and she is fed safe choice preform twice a day (morning + night) is this a good feed program? She is a hard keeper so she is on a high fat grain with added oil for more fat. But she has the 24/7 pasture turnout and her choice to come in or out of the barn. Opinions? Should hay flakes of alfalfa or regular hay forage be added even though she has free choice grass?
Read more at https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/introductions.109/post-thread#xxyRhPMvMOHkdYGO.99

be positive

Visit site
I am guessing you are not in the UK and feeding what is available in your country which differs from what we would probably use for poor does, although oil based feeds are popular over here, so I cannot really comment on the feeds you are using but I would definitely give extra forage/ hay to any horse that is a poor doer so they have the option of eating while they are inside out of the weather, try giving something in the barn so if she wants to be in she can still eat.

JillA

Visit site
What is in it? What is her body condition like? Is the grazing good? How much work does she do? Does she have to have any supplements? All of these are important factors when you are considering a diet.