Feeding question!!! people from France help also

Quartz

Visit site
Have been struggling with my horse over the last couple of years with his feed. During the winter when they up his hard feed he gets very over excited when being ridden. He has turnout all day every day, so this doesn't really change much from summer to winter. I have managed to get the yard to at last lower his hard feed and add on ad lib hay. Much to moans from YO of how is going to loose condition and weight. He is still in great condition and has even put weight on, so no problems there. I would actually like to change his feed completely to a mainly hay diet, therefore need some kind or balancer to add in any missing nutrients. So please could you give me some recommendations of feed routines consisting of mainly hay and any other supplements need ie. balancer, salt/mineral lick.

Also anyone who is in France and could help with products available here would be great, as YO is dead against anything other than cereal hard feed and small amounts of hay. Have dealt with hay situation now, so next battle hard feed!

For extra info he is a Selle Francais, 8 years old, turned out during day in at night, ridden 4 -5 times a week: consisting of 2 1 hours lessons, light hacking, and then a couple of sessions on my own in the ring of 30 -45 mins. In good condition, hooves a bit soft, may do the odd comp in the summer.

Sorry so long, but hope I got everything in there!

bobreader

www.bob-reader.webs.com
Hi, we live in France (Normandy) and have 26 horses at the moment.
Some are competition horses, some youngsters and some riding Criollo's.
We feed a basic add-lib hay diet in the field and for those in boxes, plus hard feed for the competition horses
We use sugar beet and a general low protien mix + gp minerals, garlic and biotin for most horses, but if we need something more we add conditioning nuts to the previous mix and for the comp horses the secret ingredient is half a cup of calfs milk powder in the morning mix through the winter.
All horses get turned out and all fields have salt licks in them.
If you would like more info on the type of mix we use then pm me and I will give you all the info I have.
Hope this helps
Bob
ps. we use very low grade woody hay.