Feeding Question

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Ever since I have had her, my mare has been fed ad-lib haylage and 3 shortfeeds a day containing half a scoop of cubes and a big double handful of hi-fi lite. She has always kept her weight really well, but recently she has lost a tiny bit. She is currently the fittest she has ever been and has started going jumping once a week, and I have done quite a few sponsored rides over the last few months. Obviously I won't be doing any sponsored rides now until next year, but she will be continuing to jump once a week. What can I feed her to help her maintain her weight? She was having a bit of barley in her feeds at someones suggestion, but she rubbed terribly and was covered in sores and lost most of her mane. I was also told when i bought her that she has a slight sugar intolerance, so need to bear this in mind.

Soph83

Visit site
<span style="color:purple"> I would slightly increase her hard feed as it sounds as if she is doing more work now than she ever has and this seems to be the cause of the slight drop in weight? More work means more energy used. Is she warm enough? </span>

hannah1982

Visit site
Alfa A is still quite high in sugar so Hi Fi original would probably be best.

Spillers have just bought out a molasses free mix, I saw it on H&amp;H letter page this week. It said its still non heating but is 98% sugar free and should have a bit more energy than the cubes (energy = calories = weight gain).

Maybe you could replace the cubes with that? Perhaps you could ring their care line and see what they say

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
I had thought about trying Hi-fi instead, but wasn't sure about the sugar thing. Was told that was why she was on the lite.

I do keep an eye on whether or not she is warm enough as she doesn't really grow a winter coat (Never needs clipping).
laugh.gif

madlady

Visit site
Have you thought about something like showing and conditioning mix - good for keeping weight and condition but it can make some neds a bit hot.

hannah1982

Visit site
Yeah Alfa oil is a good idea or winergy do a complete fibre feed, proven low glycaemic so I guess must be virtually sugar free and it says the energy comes from oil so I assume it would be a bit more conditioning than a normal feed.

they are doing feed trials at the moment which are free and I found it really interesting. Just had to fill out a before and after questionnaire. you should call them 01908 576 277

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
She is a really laid back mare, but since she has become so fit she is really forward. I love her the way she is at the moment, but not sure I could handle her if she got too hot.
grin.gif
I have never been the most confident rider in the world and she has been fantastic for me.

hannah1982

Visit site
That's why you should call winergy, one of the benefits is that it is proven to promote good behaviour.

Apparently it gives enough energy but from fibre and oil so definately not heating!