Feeding raw chicken

Patchworkpony

Visit site
What are your views on dog owners who feed raw chicken (including the wing bones) when chicken now carries so many health warnings about dangerous and even life threatening bacteria in the raw or undercooked meat?

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I buy wings, wash them and freeze them. it's unusual (although not unheard of) for a dog to get sick with campy/salmonella but they can shed it. So anyone with compromised immunity should be especially careful around RAW fed dogs.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I was told not to wash chicken, I have no idea why.

My opinion is that my lot love wings and-touch wood-I've had no issues feeding raw for five years. Dogs eat other dogs' ***** so I imagine that raw chicken might be ok too :D

Amicus

Visit site
I was told not to wash chicken, I have no idea why.

They say not to wash it as the risk it that the water sprays/spreads any campy/salmonella onto surfaces. I don't think raw chicken has got more dangerous though just more vigilant public health.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
If you wash chicken you splash the bacteria round your kitchen surfaces and sink and then stand a very good chance of picking up any rogue bacteria present in the chicken.

I wouldn't wash a whole chicken and not if it was to be cooked, I only feed wings. I am a bacteriologist, can't remember the last time I gave anyone food poisoning ;)