Feeding salt

MillionDollar

Visit site
Can anyone tell me how much salt they put in their horses feeds?
Is this every feed, or once a day?
And, this will sound really thick
blush.gif
, but do you just get the bog standard stuff from the supermarket? lol.

My cob sweats like made and i think it will really benefit her,
Thanks in advance, Claire
grin.gif

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I feed PF a handful of rock salt a day in her feed as it's hot and she gets so sweaty. Someone on the forum said it's quite hard to overdose on salt as they just won't eat their feed if there's too much in it.
I'd give her a salt lick though if I could get them out here. Much easier!

star

Visit site
i small scoop of salt every day without fail. just normal table salt from supermarket.
salt is not added to feed as makes it absorb water and go off. believe he needs extra as sweats lots.

hollyzippo

Visit site
You shouldnt just feed standard salt as its the wrong proportion of sodium chloride. They also need potassium which is in Lo Salt.

Give 1/3 Lo Salt to 2/3 normal table salt. I go to Co op and buy there own brand table salt which is approx 700g I think and branded Lo salt which is 350g. Means they last the same time and is easier!

Like someone said, cant really overdose as wont eat it. I usually give a little blue biotin scoop in total per day. Give more in the summer when theyre sweating in the heat and hard work!!

P.M. if any probs- did whole project on it at college- zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!
wink.gif

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
I buy normal salt from the supermarket. I store it in a plastic tub and just open the corner and shake into the feed bucket... Not the most professional measuring system but it does the job.

Mine has a garlic salt lick thing as well but she mostly ignores it.

tisch

Visit site
i also buy normal salt from the supermarket, and keep it in a old naf msm tub, put little bit in night feed.

my horse needs it as he will not drink enough and has a storng wee. More so when its summer and dry tho.

Theresa_F

Visit site
I don't bother with Chancer as he loves his salt lick. Cairo won't touch a salt lick so I add Tesco's value salt - about 1 teaspoon in each feed - as I normally just sprinkle on but once did measure a sprinkle.

If he has been really sweating, will give double the amount.