Feeding the incorrect amount

holeymoley

Visit site
I have my boy on Simple Systems- Lucie stalks and Metaslim. Very happy with how he’s doing. However, it appears I’ve been feeding the incorrect amount of Metaslim. I didn’t receive a measuring cup when I initially bought it so just used one I had. So basically I’ve been feeding half the amount I should be. Should I up it to the correct amount?! It seems a daft question but I’m happy with his weight but then I’m also thinking if he’s not getting the correct amount it’s pointless feeding it? :confused:o_O

Shay

Visit site
Its just a balancer - and a slightly odd one. Technically if you feed below the reccommended amount the horse may lack vits & mins but looking at the website metaslim doesn't see to provide the full range anyway and most of what it does provide is duplicated in the lucie stalks. It would take a better mathematician than I - or someone more bored! - to work out exactly what the RDA for each is and how much you might be over or under. But the simpler approach is Windandrain's above- if it ain't broke - don't fix it!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I had a look at the Simple Systems website.

Metaslim is comprised of :-

COMPOSITION Lucerne leaf, Linseed meal, Brewers’ Yeast, Cinnamon, Ascophyllum nodosum, Spearmint, Magnesium Salts

So it has more alfalfa, which you are already feeding as lucie stalks. I’m not really sure what benefit Metaslim has over separately adding linseed, brewers yeast, and a vit&min supplement to your horse’s feed.

Maybe do that and save some £££s?

be positive

Visit site
It isn't really what I think of as a balancer because of the amount being fed, half a kilo a day for the average 500 kilo horse is a lot more than a balancer, mine get 60gms of Equimins per day, it is really a complete feed fed in a smallish quantity and may not be as well balanced as ideal with what seems to be fairly high levels of iron.

holeymoley

Visit site
Ahhhh thanks for replies. I think I’ll maybe just keep it at the same levels, if it’s not broken then don’t fix it as they say. He gets a scoop of magnesium and salt with it too so I’ve been maybe doubling up on that. I’ve not really been sure whether I should add a vitamin and supplement to it either?!

Can anyone suggest anything else to feed? I moved on to Simple Systems after a very extreme bout of laminitis where I stripped the diet right back. While recovering, he got fed soaked hay and formula 4 feet. And a scoop of magnesium and salt. Once most of his new hoof grew down and the rotation was re aligned, I came off formula 4 feet and went on to simple systems as it was as natural as I could find without added junk.

windand rain

Visit site
Meadow magic is 9.5% combined sugar and starch but the sugar part is a bit higher at 8 than I would like but it is tested for laminitic and cushings horses so it is up to you if you want to change it is also alfalfa free £10.50 a bag. Metaslim seems expensive if you consider the only added ingredient is cinnamon

holeymoley

Visit site
I think I’ll stick with simple systems.

It seems to be doing the job. I had a look at emerald green feeds a few months ago and for some reason I didn’t fancy it. We’re a bit tricky to get hold of feed up here unless you want the main stream brands which I will not touch. I can get free delivery with simple systems for all feed so that’s a bonus.