Feeding the older pony during winter

Hollychops

Visit site
Any recommendations for keeping weight on retired ponies. I have 2 ponies (one is late 30s, the other in her mid 20s) who i want to ensure i keep weight on during the winter. the younger manages well but the elder doesnt have many teeth left. She has access to grass when out and ad lib hay when in at night and in the field and 2 feeds of well soaked grass nuts. She has done extremely well on this during the summer, i just need to make sure she doesnt drop weight and start to suffer this winter. She is rugged appropriately depending on the weather. Last winter i fed her A&P Fast Fibre but she didnt look to great come spring. I would feed haylage but the big bales go off too soon, no one local to me does the smaller bales and the nearest supplier will only sell them in large quantities that i cant afford to buy in one go (as in 100 bales and nothing smaller!)

They are both up to date with dental checks, vaccinations, wormer etc and are bright eye and happy and the oldie certainly gives most youngster a run for her money.

Would appreciate your recommendations.

Merlod

Visit site
We made "old man mush" for my late pony. Consisting of warm speedibeet, baileys top line conditioning cubes and micronised linseed.

meleeka

Visit site
Don’t be afraid to give more than you think if it’s something like chaff and sugarbeet. I’d discount the hay and give a big trug of the above for them to ‘graze’. Linseed is excellent too.

blodwyn1

Visit site
D and H cush care condition is very good for helping maintain weight. You just soak it for a minute and I feed about half a scoop with some chaff.

pippixox

Visit site
Lots of soaked grass nuts, fast fibre and mugs of linseed. If they are barely able to eat grass they will need a lot!
A 30 year old at my yard can barely eat grass and finds hay even worse. He has a giant tub trug am and pm to keep his weight on. Takes at least 2 hours to eat each meal

Shoei

Visit site
After trying so many differing feeds for our ancient arab who loves to resemble a toast rack, last year I put her on rolled barley and grass nuts and the difference was amazing

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
I agree with what several others have already posted. My old cob is currently on two very mushy feeds which he slurps up steadily. Each feed has two cups of grass nuts, two cups of conditioning cubes and one cup of linseed. I think this totals just over 8,000 calories so around half of what he probably needs each day. He is also on a well-rested field of long grass which he is still able to eat. As the grass goes and we will up his feed to 3 or 4 per day or put him on the track at night (also has more natural shelter) with tubs of mush and in with the herd during the day. He looks great at the moment so fingers crossed that will continue.

Hollychops

Visit site
Thank you for all the advice. Will start off with sugar beet as an extra and see how she goes! New warmer rug to be picked up today so that will help abit

Visit site
Allan and Page Calm and Condition is great for weight gain and also easy to eat as it is fed soaked - is lovely when fed warm when it's really cold too!