Feeding Vitamin E dosage

dixie

Visit site
After reading various threads on this and PSSM, I've ordered some of Thunderbrooks Vitamin E for my horse.
However I read I need to feed more than stated on the pack but cannot now find the thread.
Can someone please advise.

As a background my horse is a TB, who is very laid back/horizontal. It's definitely in his nature but I feel there is something not quite right in the ridden work.
He jumps very well and is quite forward then but even schooling in between jumps he will just grind to a halt if I don't keep on at him - its very hard work !

He's been treated for ulcers and I have him on quite a good regime at the moment which seems to be working and don't feel that this is particularly a problem.

Mynstrel

Visit site
Don't know what dosage you're thinking of, but our emnd horse was on 10,000iu daily between his feed and supplement. The main thing is that your vit e supplement doesn't contain selenium which is toxic if overfed.

paddy555

Visit site
the thunderbrook one doesn't appear to contain se. They reckon on feeding at 1-2 g per day.. 1gram = 373iu.

If you are feeding to test for PSSM or indeed for PSSM then you are looking at feeding 10,000iu per day.

for PSSM many people use either equimins vit e (if you don't mind the oil and it's cheaper) or forage plus if you want a powder.
The other part of testing for PSSM is keeping the horse warm and dry. I am in Devon and mine has a 250g rug on ATM with the weather.

If you can't work out what is going wrong keep a diary of exercise, rugging and weather. See if there are any patterns.

dixie

Visit site
It looks like he needs 25g then, is that right?

what do you mean by it not containing se? Is that an abbreviation of selenium?

paddy555

Visit site
It looks like he needs 25g then, is that right?

what do you mean by it not containing se? Is that an abbreviation of selenium?

yes selenium. Sorry.
I would calculate it at 25 grams to give 10000iu. I notice that there is a warning on that site saying do not exceed the stated dose. As I have no experience with thunderbrooks product (I have only used equimins) then I can only suppose it would be safe to feed 25g.