Feeding Youngsters

I See Clover

Visit site
After reading another thread I have realised I'm not too clued up on feeding. We have a 2 year old 15hh (ish) cob x sport horse. He is on good grazing (out from 7.45am-3pm roughly), soaked hay at night and one feed comprising of sugarbeet (about 1/3 of a round scoop), small amount of Hi-Fi Lite (I think) and sprinkle of Dodson and Horrell Pasture Mix.

Just wondering if this feed is doing him more bad than good?

Here is a pic of him taken in Jan.

402374_314840091872844_100000405688085_1044164_1921118956_n by lem20, on Flickr

This one was taken in Feb.

20.02.12 - Ty Outside the Stable Block (3) by lem20, on Flickr

Any advice much appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:

Nudibranch

Visit site
What a handsome boy! Your feed sounds similar to what I feed my boy except for the pasture mix, I try not to feed anything like this as it's full of sugar. Also unmollassed beet is better. I also add Surelimb just in case he is missing any minerals. If you want to be sure, have a grazing analysis done.

He looks healthy and happy, I would say he could lose a few kg and still be ok though - slimmer is better for youngsters.

Last edited:

I See Clover

Visit site
Thanks :) He has lost a bit of weight (can feel ribs, not visible though) but don't have any recent pics of him. Not sure what type of sugarbeet it is (YO pre makes it) so will check today. Will cut out the pasture mix (he didn't get a lot anyway). YO supplies us with the feed even though we are on DIY, but sure she has some balancers and such which may be better for him?

Trot_On_Dressage

Visit site
Hi I see clover, your boy looks great. His diet is ok but I would make some changes.

Firstly as he is two there is no need to have a stud feed. His current diet is lacking in vits and mins as he won't be getting anything out of the sugar beet ( it is virtually water so no real calories or anything from it) the dengie

Trot_On_Dressage

Visit site
I would try him on something like high fibre cubes. If your feeding a full ration he would be getting all the vits and mins he needs from that so no need to add any supplement. A full ration for his size would be about 2kg ( 1 scoop and 1/4 per day)

Watch his weight, if he gains too much reduce ration down and add in a balancer to top up vits and mins. Condition scoring on a weekly basis is a great idea. Make sure you do it at same time of day tho as weight does fluctuate during different times of day :)

I See Clover

Visit site
I would try him on something like high fibre cubes. If your feeding a full ration he would be getting all the vits and mins he needs from that so no need to add any supplement. A full ration for his size would be about 2kg ( 1 scoop and 1/4 per day)

Watch his weight, if he gains too much reduce ration down and add in a balancer to top up vits and mins. Condition scoring on a weekly basis is a great idea. Make sure you do it at same time of day tho as weight does fluctuate during different times of day :)

Thank you :)