Twiglet

Visit site
I have a 16 year old TB cross, who is currently fed:

3 large scoops Hi Fi Lite a day
Standard Equivite dose
Cortaflex
Soya Oil
Carrots
At least 4-5 sections of hay a night, plus 10 hours good-ish quality grazing a day.

And I've just added half a scoop of High Fibre cubes.

He's not underweight in the slightest, and is in generally good condition - healthy hooves, coat, v happy in himself.

The only problem is, he's feeling quite lethargic to ride, and seems a little dopey. Normally he's a very sparky ride, especially hacking, but I'm finding myself having to use my legs more than I'm used to!

He grows an incredibly thick coat for winter, and I'm sure this is part of the problem, because it's taking so much energy to grow his bearhide!

I'm not sure whether to add anything to his feed, to get him back to his normal self?

The problem I have is that he's extremely sugar and starch sensitive - he has tied up in the past, and even when I tried him on Alfa A he turned into a rearing crib biting maniac.

Should I give him a few weeks, and a clip, and hope he returns to his normal self, or think about feeding something extra?
It's just such a fine line to tread between fizz and pyschosis with him!

Any advice? Sorry for the long post!

OWLIE185

Visit site
I would suggest that you contact your vet and get a blood test taken and also worm him using at least 3 different wormers each with a different active ingredients at two weekly intervals. Even if you have excellent pasture/turnout management you need to worm at least every 8 weeks and always keep a record of what you have used and when.

Bossanova

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I would suggest that you contact your vet and get a blood test taken and also worm him using at least 3 different wormers each with a different active ingredients at two weekly intervals. Even if you have excellent pasture/turnout management you need to worm at least every 8 weeks and always keep a record of what you have used and when.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is actually not true and it's best to limit wormer use to when it's necessary- far better to get a worm count done and worm accordingly (obv other than for tapeworm) Your suggestion is why we are getting increasing levels of wormer resistance

sorona

Visit site
Have you tried him on blue chip to make the most of the food he is getting or a broad spectrum multi vit. On another forum, someone else had a very lethargic pony and had vet out to do bloods and he had red worm and an allergy to tick bites and was aenemic although he had only been wormed 2 weeks previous.

Twiglet

Visit site
He hasn't got a worm problem, worm count < 50, and have very regular worming programme in place.

I'm thinking perhaps it's literally the change in seasons, and him being slightly older.....he's being clipped soon, so I might wait and see what that does before I mess about with his feeds anymore.

hannah1982

Visit site
I have been doing a feed trial for winergy. They have scientifically formulated a feed suitable for horses that tie up.

I saw them at Burghley and they have sent me over a months worth of feed to trial absolutely FOC!!! It had been great so far, my tb mare has remained sane, put on wieght, is really shiny, has enough energy to work for an hour a day AND has not even looked like she is goinf to tie up.

I'm so impressed I talk about it all the time!!! Ring them and explain your problem and ask if ou can go on a feed trial too. The lady there spoke to my vet so I could be sure it would all be safe and he was really impressed. Their number is 01908 576 277, I have it on speed dial now!!