Feel a bit sick and angry

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I have had the vet to do Nell's vaccinations and after much suspicion they have confirmed her as 2yrs old not almost 3. I have just listed her for sale as I cannot have a two year old, 3 was the youngest i wanted. I miss riding.
I feel like an idiot too for being so stupid, this all feels very weird. I just do not want something this young, feel like such an idiot I really do
Sorry, needed to vent
I had thought more and more about her babyish she was and the more I have stood back and looked at her the more suspicious I have become and now my fears are confirmed :(

cbmcts

Visit site
I'm so sorry to hear that - it's really not what you ever want to hear.

The only thing I'll say is maybe wait a week or two before you make any decision after such a disappointment, it's so easy to over react when something like this happens and then regret it.

devilwoman

Visit site
If, besides her age, she is everything you want, you'll be surprised at how fast that year passes, it seems like only yesterday I bought a filly at 20 months old and she is now nearly 5, I have no idea where that time has gone.

I also bred a foal who is 2 this year and again that seems like only yesterday.

Don't be too hasty, make sure its the right decision before you rush into anything.

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
If you like her in every way apart from her age I would keep her....by the time you have sold her and found something suitable she will be 3 anyway. Have to say though, would have thought you would have known her age by looking at her teeth! Better a year younger than older...don't worry just carry on...albeit a bit slower!

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Has someone cheated on her passport then, that's awful.

Well it needs changing now :(

I take she wasn't passported & chipped when you brought her then

No, owner had her chipped and brought the details ready for her passport as filled out by him and vet. So I have sent off for her passport, he delivered her without!
I will ask them to change d.o.b
He is being nice but wont have her back, says his vet aged her at that. Tbh I think first time she had vet as on micro chipping, they told me her age when i viewed her. Both times I questioned it, but they insisted she was 3 this year and the more time has gone on the more I have suspected.
Feel like a bloody idiot
I am simply not prepared to wait another 2yrs to be enjoying nice long hacks, I miss riding and this is just too far in the future for what I want :(

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
If you like her in every way apart from her age I would keep her....by the time you have sold her and found something suitable she will be 3 anyway. Have to say though, would have thought you would have known her age by looking at her teeth! Better a year younger than older...don't worry just carry on...albeit a bit slower!

They told me she would be 3 this year, and yes I looked at her teeth and thought she was a later foal hence front two teeth not showing themselves, but when he delivered her the date on the details said march.

And no, for me it is no good. As for the knowing exactly her age, yes I have a good idea but am not an expert, the vet struggled to age her but after much expert inspection decided she was coming up to 2, not rising 3!

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Makes a complete mockery of the passporting/microchipping system.

All foals need to be micro-chipped & passported. This must be done before the foal is six months old or by 31 December in the year it is born, whichever is later.

Done correctly there should be no doubt on age. :(

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
A year will soon fly by. Take her out to shows this year and do some inhand showing, not the same as riding but nearly.

Thanks :( But waiting a whole year before even starting backing is not at all what i am after. I only wanted something of 3 upwards, something ready to back :(
Hacking is my real pleasure and it will be a long time until that can happen

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Makes a complete mockery of the passporting/microchipping system.

All foals need to be micro-chipped & passported. This must be done before the foal is six months old or by 31 December in the year it is born, whichever is later.

Done correctly there should be no doubt on age. :(

I know, makes you very angry. As soon as passports came about I sent straight off for Seren's all those years ago. More fool me I suppose for being such a blasted idiot, well i have to deal with it, but just needed to vent as you guys understand, thanks for listening. I was shaking earlier I was so annoyed by it all. Went to zumba to calm down on OH's advice which was a good idea, just so disappointed :(

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Yes, I thought you meant she was 3 this year. Shame but if it's not what you bought into then I can fully understand how pee'd off you are.

NeverSayNever

Visit site
so sorry this has happened to you:( i think its more common than people think and indeed does make a mockery of the passport system.

i recently took a pony on lwvtb and her passport has her at 8 years old,she has been in a riding school. She is a wee shetland and i have her for a companion and leadrein pony. She was passported and chipped in 2010 and so whoever did it would have been saying she was a 6 year old but my vet showed me her baby teeth and said she is no more than 4 now! Meaning she was 2 when she was being ridden and used as lead rein for little tots! Just as well she is a saint! My vet is having the passport changed.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
so sorry this has happened to you:( i think its more common than people think and indeed does make a mockery of the passport system.

i recently took a pony on lwvtb and her passport has her at 8 years old,she has been in a riding school. She is a wee shetland and i have her for a companion and leadrein pony. She was passported and chipped in 2010 and so whoever did it would have been saying she was a 6 year old but my vet showed me her baby teeth and said she is no more than 4 now! Meaning she was 2 when she was being ridden and used as lead rein for little tots! Just as well she is a saint! My vet is having the passport changed.

Blimey, this is it, I do not doubt I am alone if I think about it, shame people are not honest.
I know aging horses exactly can be tricky but I think that sometimes people are just not honest :(

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
If, besides her age, she is everything you want, you'll be surprised at how fast that year passes, it seems like only yesterday I bought a filly at 20 months old and she is now nearly 5, I have no idea where that time has gone.

I also bred a foal who is 2 this year and again that seems like only yesterday.

Don't be too hasty, make sure its the right decision before you rush into anything.

I know perhaps I should slow down. However, I do know a 2yr old is just too young for what I want. I have had youngsters and brought them on, many years ago now. But now I do not have my own land and can only afford one horse at my current livery yard, and I do miss riding more than I realised. So for me, this is not right. If i had my own land I would turn her away no problems as she is a very ice sort, but this is just not right for me now :(

ghostie

Visit site
How frustrating for you, I can't imagine how cross and upset you must be feeling.

Just a thought, but is there any chance you would have the time/space/finances for two? Was just thinking that if hacking is your great love you could always look to loan a happy hacker until she is old enough to back?

If not, is there anyone you know that is keeping a horse as a companion that is suitable for hacking but isn't being ridden - if so might they consider 'swapping' so that your filly becomes their companion until she's ready to back or else letting you hack it out? Might be worth asking about as I have known of various people over the years that have companion horses that can be hacked that they don't because they don't have the time.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
Oh so sorry to hear this - after all the searching you did too.

If you think she may be ok for you in the future could you not find someone who would take her as a companion for other youngstock for a year or so and try and get something on loan to ride in the time being?

But also if you don't think she's the right horse for you, then at least you've found out now and selling her would be the best thing.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do. x

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Actually, aging by the teeth is rather hit and miss. I used to run a stud farm and so knew all the horses ages exactly - you'd be amazed at how far out a lot of the teeth were (yes, by as much as a year in some cases). You'd also be amazed at how many vets couldn't age a horse for toffee.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I have to confess that I was a bit surprised when you bought a youngster, because you wouldn't be able to ride straightaway.

I can understand that you feel 'cheated' because she isn't what you thought you'd bought but I'm not sure why that extra year is so important. You can still do all sorts with her. I feel sorry for Nell, she's only just got to know you and now you want to move her on.

TBH, I think your reaction is possibly part of the grieving process for Seren.

I do hope you manage to find a good solution for both of you.