Feel absolutely bloody awful :(

slumdog

Visit site
I'm selling Billy. I've produced him over two years, I've got as far as I can with him. He isn't at 'showjumper' and my ability has now outgrown his.
He would do a lovely dressage test, would jump pony club and riding club all day long, has schooled cross country, hacks alone and in company. Loads himself, comes to call. He's pretty much perfect but it's time for him to go to a lovely family with teenagers that will enjoy him.

He hasn't got a 'job' to do any more and although he's happy being a lazy field ornament and having the odd ride, he could be doing so much more and making somebody really happy. People do this all the time so why do I feel so bloody c**p about myself :(

cblover

Visit site
I know how you feel and its not easy to deal with. I may have to make the same decision with one of mine in the not too distant future but for different reasons.

Horses bring their own happiness though and I'm sure he'll have plenty to give someone else.....that deserves it. Good luck with placing him in the right home. All you can do is do your best to make sure he's bought by a lovely and worthy person....and I'm sure you will because you care. x

twobearsarthur

Visit site
Not just you.
I've sold maybe 3-4 horses over the years when we have outgrown each other in one way or another. (One I just couldn't get along with and if I'm honest didn't really like!!!!) however I still felt absolutely rubbish when I sold them almost like I was a failure for not getting the best out of them, not getting along with them whatever the reason was.
Your doing the right thing you've given good reasons why. You might feel rubbish for a while but it will be ok when you find the right home and see how happy he can make another family then you'll feel good and know it was the right thing

Last edited:

soulfull

Visit site
It is never easy. however by the sounds of it you have thought long and hard and decided it is best for him too. He most likely go somewhere that he will be number one or only horse, so get extra love and attention. not too mention you have given him the best start in life so that he gets that lovely home

minkymoo

Visit site
Don't feel awful, it's a hard decision to make but the right one if you feel this way.

I had my Anglo Arab and then I bought a youngster 2 1/2 years ago and he got backed this April. Unfortunately, I had to make a choice between the baby and my other horse. I had him for 7 years and swore I was never going to sell him, but when it came to it, I couldn't sell the baby, so he had to go. :(

I felt terrible about it until the woman who bought him came to see him. They liked each other and off he went. I was hugely relieved that he went to a great home as that was what I was most worried about.

It will all work out in the end, you'll find the perfect owner for him and he'll have a great time!

niagaraduval

Visit site
Don't feel bad, you are making the best decision for your boy.

I grew out of mine riding wise around 5 years ago, and I also bought him young and brought him on. I however can keep him as a field ornament so am happy about that but I have thought about selling him several times and if I didn't have the means to keep 2 I wouldn't hesitate to sell him to someone who will enjoy him.

I've found a sharer for mine so still get to keep him without the cost whilst knowing he's happy with someone pampering him. :)

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Look at it the other way, you have produced what sounds like a lovely well rounded horse who is going to give some lucky person loads of enjoyment because he's had the time and effort put into him by you and feel proud and happy to see him on his journey and to have given him fabulous grounding.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Look at it the other way, you have produced what sounds like a lovely well rounded horse who is going to give some lucky person loads of enjoyment because he's had the time and effort put into him by you and feel proud and happy to see him on his journey and to have given him fabulous grounding.

This. A great way to look at it. Yes, you will miss him . . . but look at what a wonderful start you have given him and try and focus on the wonderful journey he will go on with someone else who will love him and appreciate his talents.

P

Jojo_Pea4

Visit site
We have just sold our pony as sister outgrew him. It was the toughest choice to make and lots of tears even to the minute he went we still werent sure it was the right one. The girl who brought him was so happy and knew he would have a happier life with her as he wasnt going to cut it as a showjumper and its my sisters passion, he has gone to a showing and dressage home. We got our new girl and it doesnt take away missing him but she is everything we want.