Feel terrified Driving a 7.5t!!

Oscar

Visit site
Now I know this sounds daft, but I actually hate driving my lorry, well any lorry!! I just don't feel safe or in control. My OH says I'm silly as ours is the best he's driven,(we've had a few before & borrowed a friends Whittaker for 6months). He used to chauffeur me around but now is busy with work etc, I just keep putting off going out & when I do (empty!) I feel sick & plain terrified. Doesn't help we have a lot of narrow lanes to navigate - OH was telling me to go faster but I just don't feel in control.

Should I persevere or just sell it & get a smaller van type wagon, I'm ok with vans it's just bigger I hate. I know it sounds irrational but I daren't drive a horse anywhere I'd hyperventilate lol.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Can you drive the lorry in your field? If so beg steal or borrow some cones and practise driving round them, make the gaps tighter and tighter until you are very sure of how wide you are, then see how quickly you can get round them. Also make yourself a parking space out of them and practise reversing in.

It's familiarity that will eventually make it seem like second nature to you.

ROG

Visit site
ME (Ex LGV instructor) for FREE with any expenses covered ...... but I am in Leicester - is that near you?

Just looked through your posts and it seems you are in Lincolnshire which is probably a little too far away but then again Newark is only a 45 min drive from me ................ and Lincoln just over 1 hour away on a good day

Bernster

Visit site
Yep, maybe try a few practice runs, ideally in large open spaces ! I used to drive a 21ft 7.5t lorry and it was actually surprising easy to drive once I got over the size of it and got familiar with it. I just used to make sure I knew there was decent access/parking where I was going, to try and avoid the tight turns.

I also got a special sat nav that had a lorry setting where I put in the dimensions and that meant that I felt better that it wouldn't send me down tiny country lanes. Saying that, it did once still send me down a teeny lane where there weren't any passing spots so I was v pleased we didn't see any oncoming traffic.

I have a 3.9t now and have to say it is a lot easier to manoeuvre though. Maybe have a few more goes, without a horse, and it you just can't get on with it a smaller one might be better.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I sympathise. We used to have a cattle lorry and OH said that the horses had a much better ride in a lorry than a trailer, but I couldn't get on with it. I never felt in control and went through fear and out the other side when driving it to a Pony Club rally one day, when the trailer had a flat tyre. I hated the air brakes, because they were so sharp and hated not having a bonnet!

I think all you can do is practice and practice and take it out empty until you feel that you ARE in control. Good luck.

humblepie

Visit site
Years ago when I first got a lorry (being one of these old people who don't have to do any extra tests) I did go and have a couple of driving lessons with a transport training place who had a horsebox and it was beneficial. I think it is also getting out there and doing it. I don't drive that much now and do pretty much rely on OH and think the less you do it the more daunting it can be. Like most things it is practice and miles on the clock for want of a better phrase but would echo getting some instruction to make your more confident.

Elsbells

Visit site
Just drive it. Fill up the tank and go out for the day and you'll be surprised at how easy it will become, as others have already said, familiarity is the key, wouldn't be without mine now.

star

Visit site
I love driving my 7.5T lorry but I am very glad of doing an intense driving course to pass my Cat C to drive it and then doing lots of practice empty. I only needed to do the C1 but deliberately did the full Cat C to get expert tuition in driving the bigger lorry. I like nothing better than cruising around in my lorry now :) Get some independent tuition and practice lots.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I love driving my 7.5T lorry but I am very glad of doing an intense driving course to pass my Cat C to drive it and then doing lots of practice empty. I only needed to do the C1 but deliberately did the full Cat C to get expert tuition in driving the bigger lorry. I like nothing better than cruising around in my lorry now :) Get some independent tuition and practice lots.

I do agree with this, I am old, and went straight to class1 HGV (for work), after driving a few Juggernauts my little ol' 7.5 tonne feels like a personal slipper! I would see if you can have some time in an even bigger wagon, just a few lessons, than you own.

I would also go with no horses until you are confident. Go with a friend, sing, laugh. Take a picnic!

If after all that you still hate it then maybe it is time to think of another form of transport.

Driving something else may also help identify if it is just your personal wagon which is not to your liking?Maybe the brakes are not good? I know that in my time there has been the odd car I have not got on with, ut others I have loved.

humblepie

Visit site
What Red 1 says about different lorries makes very good sense. OH occasionally drives other lorries he is repairing and every time he says he would rather drive ours for various reasons.

Shazzababs

Visit site
Either have a few lessons, or get up really early one Sunday morning and go out with a friend for a nice long drive on some A Roads (and then have a fry up somewhere).

When I first got mine I was dating a HGV (Class1) Driver and he took me out. I scared the pants off him for the first 10 minutes, but was fine after that.
He also let me drive his 40 tonne transporter (very slowly!) around Dartford docks a few times (if it was quiet) which was great fun, I love to have a license for a really big truck one day!

Just remember that you have to slow down loads in advance for everything, and that it cuts corners.....

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Now I know this sounds daft, but I actually hate driving my lorry, well any lorry!! I just don't feel safe or in control. My OH says I'm silly as ours is the best he's driven,(we've had a few before & borrowed a friends Whittaker for 6months). He used to chauffeur me around but now is busy with work etc, I just keep putting off going out & when I do (empty!) I feel sick & plain terrified. Doesn't help we have a lot of narrow lanes to navigate - OH was telling me to go faster but I just don't feel in control.

Should I persevere or just sell it & get a smaller van type wagon, I'm ok with vans it's just bigger I hate. I know it sounds irrational but I daren't drive a horse anywhere I'd hyperventilate lol.

I'm the same with trailers I refuse to drive one unless emergency which thankfully since 1998 I have not had to tow a trailer. I love driving 7.5 Horsebox. By the sounds of it

I would sell yours and buy smaller, I don't think bigger is best for you.