Feeling a bit cheated and a question

Trubie

Visit site
I went to a local unaf dressage comp this week, which is my first on my horse.
I entered two classes, the prelim i admit we didnt do great in and i accept the mark i got and he wasnt quite warmed up enough.
We then rode in the novice class, of which all other riders were liveries at the yard or had lessons with the judge
crazy.gif

My horse rode a much better test and we were accurate with the movements and my horse was round and supple and accepting the contact. Watched a few other tests after me and some of the others went wrong, or horses were not in an outline, fighting etc. I thought we had ridden a good test so went to collect our sheets only to find that we were last, and the only ones without a rosette
frown.gif

Now this isnt sour grapes as i know the judges decision is final and although i have ideas about why i was last is irrevelant. This has really knocked my confidence as i thought (and have been told) that we rode really well and feel i was cheated out of my entry fee.

Anyway im looking to enter some RC comps at this yard soon as was wondering if anyone knew if RC's dressage comps tend to have different judge set ups to normal unaf comps in order to be fair?

1275gta

Visit site
Unfortunately it happens in dressage and showing, don't let it effect your confidence, I had the same in the championships a couple of weeks ago, I'm sure judge (and I use the term loosely as the person concenred has only been riding 6 or 7 years) was judging people not dressage tests. Put it down to experience and keep going.

Trubie

Visit site
Thanks, going out again on wed eve to another event (very nice friend offered transport)! Just this is my local yard that i hack to so just hoping the next comp i do there we will get another judge who is slightly fairer!
Thanks again!
smile.gif

diggerbez

Visit site
this is why i either do BD or go to big comp centres where their unaffil is slightly fairer....if you do get such a biased judge then try to take what positives you can- i.e. you felt that your horse went very nicely in second test so be pleased with that. annoying tho about entry fee....
mad.gif

Cliqmo

Visit site
I have written for a couple of dressage judges and unfortunately it CAN/DOES happen because knowing the history on a particular horse means they know how much it has improved and tend to mark it accordingly
blush.gif
Thus inadvertantly putting all of the other competitors at a disadvantage because they are simply judged on the test as it is presented on the day... rest assured though it can also work the other way and they can mark horses they know very harshly when they are giving a bad test
shocked.gif

Don't let this sort of thing taint your experience but perhaps let it be a lesson in not relying entirely on the judge to let you know how well it went
grin.gif

Trubie

Visit site
Diggerbez- Thanks, when we get some transport we will try and get out to do some BD, even if just on a ticket at first. Yea we used it more as schooling excercise as my horse was great on his first outing, i feel he went well so thats all that counts!
smile.gif

Ali M- Thanks, shame this happens really but as you say depends on the judge i suppose! I wish we could have gone h/c then at least we would have got honest test comments.
smile.gif

Out again on Wed, so will hopefully get a better judge!

PucciNPoni

Visit site
That's a bummer of a day - I can't answer your question, sorry. But the only comment I have (or really a question): How were the comments on your test? Did the judge say anything useful at all on your sheet?

When I go dressaging I tend to not be so bothered by the scores, but am more interested in the comments so that I have something to work on. Okay, yeah, I like good scores and even a rosette (who doesn't!) but at least with dressage (as opposed to showing) you get feedback which may be useful.

I don't think I personally would want to compete under my instructor. It would be totally unfair - and NOT to my advantage. I'd be afraid she'd stick her head out of the car and say something like "Do you call that a circle??? WHERE IS LEFT BEND!" and I'd be mortified... tee hee (don't think she'd really do that but the steering wheel would probably melt anyway).
blush.gif

Trubie

Visit site
PucciNPoni- I have screwed them up and put them in the bin! But they werent very useful, comments like: 'fairly accurate' (hate this!), 'better', 'Not really medium' this i cannot understand as was told by my dressage instructor that all i had to do was show a difference, he didnt tank off and did show so extension so i can quite see where 'not really medium' comes from. Was also told i showed no medium trot and was scored a 4 for it, though again showed some difference which i understood was all that was needed for Novice.
Apparently needs to be softer in the contact and use back and neck more. I now dont know what to do as been told by my DI that all is fine....so all in all not at all useful!
I agree re having my RI as a judge as i would feel guilty
frown.gif

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Well, again, I can't offer anything useful for advice - I'm still struggling in Prelim having spent all last year and the year before doing WT (I feel ready by horse's canter is pretty scary).

I always find it useful to keep the tests and show them to instructor - and we either use it as a target on the dart board or take from it the comments that we know are useful and work on them.

I went to see my instructor ride her eventer at a small dressage show - his first outing in over 8 months and hardly any schooling in that time - and what he had was in a paddock. So she gets the sheet back and seemed okay with the comments except one.... - for medium trot she got a 9, and the comment was "perfect". I asked her if it was "perfect" why wasn't it a 10? She wondered too.

Anyway, maybe my suggestion would be to buy a dart board?
smile.gif

Trubie

Visit site
I agree, i have shown one of my RI the sheet as she was gobsmacked. Could take it to my DI but she knows the judge, so not sure if it would work in my favour or not!
confused.gif

Thanks for the advice, will get a dart board asap!
smile.gif
cool.gif