Feeling a bit sorry for myself...LONG somerford report

wispagold

Visit site
Well, I don't normally post on here...normally much more of an observer but after being bound to the sofa all week I am now bored and fed up.

Bit of a long story and having never done anything like this before I was really just wondering if anyone has done something similar and could offer some advice/experience?!

On sunday I was competiting at somerford in the novice. Having just done our best novice dressage test (34) I was looking forward to having a go at what was the biggest, most testing XC course I have ever done.

Warmed up for the SJ ok, I was having doubts about my horse (wispa, in sig) needing her back done after a horrible SJ at catton (very unlike her but she jumped fab round the XC). Went in feeling fairly confident as course very up-to-height but nicely built and presented. Went in, jumped 1 and 2 fine, 3 was a big spread had a good onward stride but instead of popping over it like normal wispa hesitated (unheard of), chipped in a stride and had the back pole down. Told myself to get a grip and ride more positively and keep the implusion we continued round the course fine until number 7...huge spread off tight corner. Very very unlike wispa she wouldn't change leads round the corner and due to lack of preparation from me went round the corner disunited que horrible jump but cleared fence. Round the last corner into big treble (which I had said to mum before I went in, she is going to find that long) I had the same problem. This time I tried to bring her back into trot to change leg to which wispa completly refused to listen and come back, literally had to come back to walk before could pick up the correct canter lead hence NO implusion round the corner. Not the approached planned. Had I been sensible I should have circled but in the heat of the moment in competition that kind of thinking just didn't happen. Came into treble, jumped the first part fine, wispa tried to fit in 2 strides, didn't work and we had the middle part down, she tripped in the middle but being the completly honest horse she is tried to jump the last part. Nose dived onto the floor (poor pony) I went straight over her shoulder and landed in front of her. She then stood on the back of my leg trying to recover her self.

Well I sat on the floor in shock for a while trying to work out what hurt. My main concern was that she was studded all round but by some miracle no stud injury. A very kind man had caught wispa and was leading her round as I limped out of the arena thinking "I am going to be sooo stiff tomorrow". Immediately I was captured by paramedics who I aways try very hard to avoid! They checked me over and lead me into the dreaded ambulance to give me an ice pack. The onsite doctor came over to check my shoulder (which was fine) and okied me to go XC which I pointed out there was no way on earth I was going to do!!! I thought I would be eliminated as we definately didnt go through the finish...at least not together but apparently not.

Within seconds my knee was swelling to gigantic proportions. The paramedics assured me it was just muscular and that I would be fine to drive etc the next day just stiff and sore. They sent me back out to limp back to trailer which was parked miles away. Tried to stand on my leg and fell over. Turned round and wimpered to nice ambulance men that I couldn't walk and they kindly drove (very embarassingly) back to the car where I hopped round and got in. Mum was taking care of wispa who seemed none the worse apart from small cut on her leg. Got back to the yard by which time knee was enormous, painful and I couldnt move my leg at all. Mum and yard owner sorted wispa out and it was decided I should go back to my mum's house as it was becoming clear I was going no where fast.

The next day knee was no better so reluctant trip to a&e and apologetic phone call to my very understanding boss. Thinking they would tell me I had sprained it and just to rest it for a while. Long story short ended up having 3 X-rays. Came home with suspected fracture and instructions to come back in the morning for MRI scan. MRI scanned showed no ligament damage (WHOO!) but I have fractured the top of my tibia within the joint and and also compressed the surface of my tibial plateau(?) by 8mm!!! Apparently that calls for surgery :-( They wanted me in the next day (yesterday) but that was by birthday so could think of better ways to spend the day! They said it was fine and sent me home with crutches and a splint and booked me in for this morning to have a plate and pin but in my knee. Rang up this morning to find out what time and they said they couldn't fit me in today and to ring back tomorrow so fingers crossed. Just want it over and done with now.

So sorry for extremely long drivel. But moral of the story...listen harder to pony!

But I have never had surgery before/general anaesthetic. I am a bit scared but also worrying what the recovery for knee surgery is normally like. I hate hospitals. They have said I will be in a few days until they are sure I can use crutches without putting weight on my leg. Can't put any weight on it for 6 weeks. No driving until I can perform an emergancy stop and I dare not even mention riding :-(. Any words of wisdom?

Applogies for spelling and the usual exciting presents/food and alcohol if anyone has managed to get through all that (you can tell I have time on my hands)!

wellsat

Visit site
What rubbish luck, sounds like a real freak accident, don't beat yourself up about it.

I've never had knee surgery but I would say don't worry about having a general anaesthetic. The nice doctor was chatting away and didn't even tell me I was going under, just went out like a light. You don't notice any time when you're under, it feels just like you've blinked and then you come round again.

sare_bear

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

I had knee surgery back in March, for a chip fracture of the tibia involving the joint surface and a cartilage tear. I had to be non weight bearing for 6 weeks which drove me mad, but recovered well. Physio definately helped although had a lot of muscle wastage on that leg. Still not as well muscled as my other, but that is due to my lack of continued enthusiasm for leg exercises, other than walking and riding. :rolleyes:

As for a GA, don't worry. I was apprehensive, but the anaesthetists are lovely and put you at ease. Just make sure you have plenty of good books and movies for the recovery!! :)

wispagold

Visit site
Thanks guys, I really am rubbish at sitting still but my friends have all bought chocolates and books round for me!

Sare_Bear- how long was it before you could drive? I haven't even made it through my 6 month probabtion period at my new dream job yet! They have said I can work from home but obviously want to get back up and running asap!

sare_bear

Visit site
Driving depends on which leg as would be worse on clutch leg, unless in an automatic. I started driving not long after I could walk without crutches, albeit a big limp. So around 6 weeks iirc. I was 3 weeks non-weight bearing and 3 weeks partial weight bearing, so you may be a bit longer? I tried driving earlier, but although felt ok while driving, I was very uncomfortable afterwards. Thankfully had a very nice OH to drive me. ;)

brushingboots

Visit site
gosh loads and loads of hugs i know how hard it is being cropped up :(

but at least you had a fab drsg!

anaesthetic is nothing to worry about - ask for the gas and you just go out like a lightbulb and then ping back open again when its over!

SusieT

Visit site
oh crud that sucks, might be worth a follow up phone call so that next time paramedics aren't sending 'lame' people off to do further potential damage?!

wispagold

Visit site
oh crud that sucks, might be worth a follow up phone call so that next time paramedics aren't sending 'lame' people off to do further potential damage?!

Well I did mention it when I was talking to the trauma nurse and she was shocked that the onsite doctor said I could go XC!! Not that I could have got back on let along jump! Also that the paramedics felt they could tell me I would be fine the next day without seeing X-rays especially when I was obviously "lame" and should have been on box rest!!!