Feeling abit lost/frustated!

BOWS28

Visit site
Where do I start... I am currently working in a horrible office job, good pay but I can't stand being stuck behind a desk 5 days a week 8 hours a day... My real release is my horse and being up at the yard (which I'm sure many of you will relate!!)
My horse really is my world and I have never sat on anything quite like her if im honest! Recently she had some time off due to personal circumstances but she is now back in work and has been for a good month! up until the beginning of the week she was schooling beautifully and filling me with butterflies!! I couldn't wipe that smile off my face. I got on board on Monday and she was being very sensitive with her head and mouth, which I thought was very odd so we spent the session working on stretching and working without a contact.
I lunged and long reined for a couple of days but started riding again as of Thursday as I had dressage yesterday. She was still ever so sensitive but relaxed a little towards the end. I still took her to dressage yesterday as I just wanted to give her a change of scenery!! She spent the entire time with her head between her knees showing off some very expressive movements to say the least... My first thought was teeth but would it explain the bucking and broncing yesterday?
She had her saddle reflocked 1 month ago, had her back done 5 weeks ago and her teeth were done 6 months ago. Her feed hasn't changed, turnout has reduced but it has been the same ever since shes been stabled here and I've never had this sort of reaction.
Sorry for the long post - just looking for some friendly advice and thoughts to maybe lift my spirits a little x

be positive

Visit site
Teeth check would be my first port of call from what you have said, some can't go longer than 6 months.

Yes being uncomfortable in the mouth can cause them to drop behind you and this may result in bucking especially in something that generally feels fresh and well.

MissMoo

Visit site
Agree with the above comments and just have one other suggestion - you say her feed hasn't changed - has your hay type changed? My horse had an episode recently where they became extremely tense and agitated in general and when ridden with random explosive episodes - all very out of character, the only thing that had changed was the type of hay our supplier had been delivering - hay changed back to our usual and horse is back to normal.

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
My 5 yo connie did a very uncharacteristic explosion on Saturday - in fact he nearly took out my car window which we'd been walking around to get to the trailer. The first thing I did was check his mouth because he likes to chew everything (and I mean everything). It was very hard to find but he had in fact split the very bottom of his upper lip! So even if you think her teeth are OK I'd also be looking for any tiny cuts around her mouth or bruises/sores inside her mouth.

BOWS28

Visit site
My 5 yo connie did a very uncharacteristic explosion on Saturday - in fact he nearly took out my car window which we'd been walking around to get to the trailer. The first thing I did was check his mouth because he likes to chew everything (and I mean everything). It was very hard to find but he had in fact split the very bottom of his upper lip! So even if you think her teeth are OK I'd also be looking for any tiny cuts around her mouth or bruises/sores inside her mouth.

Oh bless him!! Ii will definitely check all of her mouth!! She is fine to tack up - still very willing for me to put her bridle on its just when i go to pick up my reins and ask for a contact she flips! Just wish they could talk and tell us whats wrong :rolleyes:

BOWS28

Visit site
Just an update; She had her back done and she was very sore!! We suspect she has twisted something when out in the field as she is in pain through her back and back end... Poor baby. The back lady said she is a real credit to me and she has proved her love and respect for me considering she is letting me get on and not dumping me!! Oddly enough, she is totally sound :confused: Teeth have been moved forward to this afternoon and she is having another session with our lovely back lady in a weeks time after spending the week being hand walked for half an hour twice a day. She is being very good doing her stretches and hand walking in a head collar:) I am going to take her for her walks up the road over the weekend for a change of scenery... que the rather large dog walking!! Lol