Feeling bad :(

hobgoblin

Visit site
I turned my lot out 3 weeks ah as the weathers been so good, and we need to do some MAJOR work on our stables this summer
They are all well rugged but the weather has just been awful!!
The only one who's not bothered is my two year old who seems quite oblivious to the howling wind and torrential rain
Just got soaked getting three in who are now screaming their heads off arrgh horses who'd have them? Have a stinking cold as well so totally FED UP come back spring

L&M

Visit site
I feel your pain!!

I turned mine out at the same time but since the weather has turned, am now regretting it. The horses seem to be coping ok but are getting a bit cross trying to 'catch' their haylage as it flies around the field in the wind!

As long as it is dry I am trying not to worry too much, just putting on more rugs and feeding more haylage. The problem is when it has been very wet and sections of the field are getting trashed. We had snow yesterday morning that settled for a few hours and had to stop myself feeling sorry for them and bringing back in......

I know a lot of forum users advocate 24/7 all yr round turnout, but I suppose it comes down to what you, and your horses are used too.

The positive thing is that we seem to be growing grass well atm - in Shropshire the fields were parched this time last yr, and was a constant struggle for grass all summer as had no rain of any note.

The other thing to keep in mind is that although the weather keeps going backwards, it will only get better - the question is when though and find myself obsessively watching the forecast!!

Chin up!

hobgoblin

Visit site
Thanks trying not to listen to the wind and rain! My tb s got 3 rugs on and tons of haylege miserable face though!
We're having new drains put in and a new roof on the stables which started today so no real practical option of bringing them in :(
Oh well I'm sure they'll survive! As my oh says 'they'll survive' I don't think he can survive me moaning about the weather and worrying about them though!
Just watched the weather and looks considerably better tomorrow- hope it is for you too!

Paris1

Visit site
My boy was vold when i got down tonight, he is only out in the day but was miserable and cold. Oh well, that old saying is 'don't shed a clout til May is out'.

TicTac

Visit site
Yess roll on spring and lets home the weather settles down into some sort of reasonable pattern!! 4 weeks ago we had snow and temps of -15. Then balmy warm weather now gail force winds and rain!!

I have so far resisted the urge to chuck my two out 24/7 as I am well aware how fickle the weather can be at this time of year and besides, my paddocks are fairly exposed and in this wind nothing stays on the ground for very long including the horses!!! ( I sooooooooo hate wind) so it would be pointless trying to give them their hay rations as it would just make nice nesting material for the birds.

On a positive note though I did read on some weather page somewhere that from mid march we are supposed to get some lovely warm spring weather :) So here's hoping.