Feeling deflated

Cakey Face

Visit site
Thinking out aloud so i would love any info on how people have got results with lazy/stubborn ponies.
Long story short I have a 14hh big Gypsy Cob who is such a sweet mare and very safe, however she is very lazy/stubborn, shes taught my daughter to ride and really looked after her. In the meantime I bought a pony (which i have now sold) that was a lot more forward but not so safe. They are the complete opposite of each other. One wont start and the other wouldn't stop.
I've started riding my Gypsy cob again and shes brilliant in helping me increase my confidence, however i find her so hard to ride and i often get very frustrated especially when we hack out alone as shes even more ploddy and will even plant herself. The only time i feel she is listening to my cue's are on the way home when obviously its because she wants to get back. I went out today and i feel i had more of a workout than what she did and i couldnt even get her into canter. :rolleyes:
I know i cant change her completely and i wouldn't want too as shes a diamond and is so safe and sensible but i need to get her listening and responding to me.
Thanks for reading

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I sympathise. We had a family heavy weight traditional cob much like your mare. He had a heart of gold and would have given his life for us, he adored my daughter and would move like a dream for her, but basically he was a wily fella who would be forward going in company on hacks, but a lazy devil on his own. He only stepped up the pace when returning home.
That was who he was and he must have laughed at the times when we worked harder than he did.
Sorry, I can't be any help. If your mare is fit, healthy and not planting herself because she's lacking confidence, you'll probably have to accept that she's a plodder.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
You have a choice, safe and sensible confidence giver but not forward going, or forward going and not so safe. It is very rare to get both desirable qualities together. As your confidence grows and you get fitter, your riding will become effective and the horse will become more forward-going. Confidence givers often only do as much as they feel the rider can cope with.

asmp

Visit site
Sometimes it is the riders - I ride our horses out and they plod along, my daughter gets on them (with her electric bum) and they come to life!

I would add that when one of ours started planting it was because his saddle no longer fitted him. Have you had yours checked recently?

The-Bookworm

Visit site
Yours is offering what's been accepted. You won't change who they are innately but you can tweak them to offer just a little bit more.

Transitions will help get her listening. Lots of downwards transitions especially!!! Mine is on the ball when it comes to trot to walk, so I used that for trot to halt. She got that easily enough as well. ;)

Do you lunge? If so I found using the voice really helped and then carry that through to your riding. You can have a play with transitions at the same spot initially and they become on the ball to this and offer. I wouldn't suggest that with something forward thinking, but for mine she liked the security of knowing what happens next.
I asked for canter at C initially and accepted the transition and the flop back to trot soon after. I wanted that transition at C. Now I get it wherever I ask. (but she couldn't do a few circuits unless her bum was on fire!)
I also taught walk to canter it really helped the canter as did polework.

Carry a schooling whip as a visual.
Ride a few dressage tests. It gives you a focus on your schooling as oppose to not always knowing what to do or where to go. If you don't ride with a purpose then the horse might think it's pointless.

be positive

Visit site
I read slow Gypsy cob and I think PSSM.

Test at Animal Genetics to rule in/out

So do I, I would also add that if not physical it will probably be lack of any real education and possibly a lack of confidence in the mix as well, most can go up a gear or two given the right work, getting the fitness levels up and finding something that they really enjoy doing so life is fun for them and not just a chore.

Cakey Face

Visit site
You have a choice, safe and sensible confidence giver but not forward going, or forward going and not so safe. It is very rare to get both desirable qualities together. As your confidence grows and you get fitter, your riding will become effective and the horse will become more forward-going. Confidence givers often only do as much as they feel the rider can cope with.
Yes if I'm honest she's a bit more forward with others. I agree I could be slot fitter which could help. I may even have some lessons on her. Thanks

Cakey Face

Visit site
Sometimes it is the riders - I ride our horses out and they plod along, my daughter gets on them (with her electric bum) and they come to life!

I would add that when one of ours started planting it was because his saddle no longer fitted him. Have you had yours checked recently?
No not lately, good point!

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
Agree with testing for PSSM and saddle fitting before anything else.
I don't have my own horse but my RS one (whom I ride often and love to bits) has a 5 star energy conservation rating and I used to sweat buckets getting him to be more forward. I can really empathise with you! My instructor woul occasionally hop on and hey presto we had a different horse! Can you get a pro/instructor to take your mare out so you could tell if she was genuinely a slow goer or if she might be possibly be just taking the pee a little bit with you? She sounds a lovely girl.
(By the by, as my riding improves so has my horse's willingness to step up a gear)
Good luck and keep us updated :)