Feeling down - cellulitis

doodle

Visit site
Robin has come down with cellulitis again. Why always on a Sunday night? This will be the 4th time in 2 1/2 years. Vet has been and the usual routine commenced. I need to see the warning signs sooner. Anything i can do to prevent. I realise the more he gets it the more he will get it and know in a couple of days he will be feeling better but feeling as miserable as him.

Fiona

Visit site
Poor you 😣😣

My TB was a devil for it when younger, any tiny graze ended up with iv or a course of tetracycline....

Did you notice the actual cut, or was it so tiny nobody saw it?

Fiona

vickie123

Visit site
I can relate to you and you have my sympathies. My mare has had it 3 times over a year following a field accident causing a broken splint bone. She is retired at 16 and lives out and is a happy horse as far as I can tell but when she gets an episode of cellulitis it really brings her down and she can barely move. It’s horrible to see her go through it.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I don't know what you already feed, K, but I'd be looking to try to strengthen the skin. If you don't already feed a supplement high in copper and zinc, I'd give it a try. You can buy the copper and zinc, and ask advice on how much to feed, from Forage Plus. I would also apply vitamin E in sudocrem to the scar (or buy bio oil if you have deep pockets) to try to improve its resilience.

Don't blame yourself. When mine got it, it came from nowhere and crippled him overnight.

doodle

Visit site
He already has a hoofsuppliment which i think adds copper and zinc.hr is alergic to bio oil! I put sudocrem on the scar daily to keep it soft.
Thanks all

rosiesowner

Visit site
Don't kick yourself over it, Kamikaze. Chilli had it about 3 times last year. Crazy. And all from the most tiny, unnoticeable grazes. *Touch wood* she's been without it for a long time but every time she gets any sort of cut, no matter how well it's attended to, I always end up holding my breath and praying! A set of turnout boots seemed to work well for her as a bit of prevention.

doodle

Visit site
Have found a scab but on the other leg. However he ate all his meds tonight so thats a relief. Was very puffy this morning.

pippixox

Visit site
My old boy got it in one back leg a few months ago with no warning or cut! Ended up on th strong liquid antibiotic I had to syringe into his mouth to get him to eat!

I’m not sure if they work- but there are some supplements to help capillaries/circulation as often this makes them more likely to get it. My boy does get puffy winter legs and is prone to infections. But has only got cellulitis once so not gone down supplements yet.